Locality/nonlocality for bound states - a question

In summary, the recent preprint by Dieter H Zeh on time in Quantum Theory has brought attention to the question of the 'speed of quantum changes'. While nonlocality in Quantum Mechanics and the consequences of Bell's Theorem have been widely discussed, there are still situations, such as in the case of spontaneous emission, where nonlocality is hard to comprehend. Zeh argues that a wave function cannot propagate faster than light with respect to spacetime, and that claims of superluminal phenomena have been based on inappropriate 'clocks' or questionable interpretations of the wave function. There is ongoing debate on whether the wave function changes instantaneously throughout space or if there is a 'wave' of changing wave function that spreads from the
pawelsobko
A recent preprint on Time in Quantum Theory
( http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~as3/TimeInQT.pdf ) by Dieter H Zeh has brought my attention to the question of the `speed of quantum changes'. While the classical discussions of nonlocality in Quantum Mechanics (QM) and consequences of Bell's Theorem are widely published, there are some other situations where nonlocality is rather hard to grok.

Consider a hydrogen atom in excited state. The electron wavefunction has some specific form, extending with exponentially vanishing factor, to infinity. Now, when the atom emits a photon (preferably for this analysis in spontaneous emission) the wavefunction changes.

The appropriate passage by Zeh is as follows:
A wave function(al) obeying a relativistic Schrödinger equation never
propagates faster than light with respect to the underlying presumed absolute spacetime. Recent reports of apparently observed superluminal phenomena were either based on inappropriate 'clocks', or on questionable interpretations of the wave function. For example, the exact energy eigenstate of a particle, bound to an attractive potential in a state of negative energy E = -|E|, would extend to spatial infinity according to exp(-√|E|r) outside the range of the potential. It has therefore been claimed to be able in principle to cause effects at an arbitrary distance within any finite time [10]. However, if the wave function of the bound system forms dynamically (according to the Schrödinger equation rather than by quantum jumps), it can only subluminally approach the exact eigenstate with its infinite exponential tail. This time-dependence requires a minimum energy spread that is in accord with the timefrequency
Fourier theorem.

When one looks up treatments of emission a little more detailed than simple Bohr pictures (in which, yes, the wavefunction changes instantaneously throughout the whole space!) one may get some sort of time dependence, especially for forced emission (as there is external element to the Hamiltonian - the external EM field. But the real question is for spontaneous emission in zero field?

Question: does the wavefunction change at the same moment in the whole space? Or, as Zeh suggests, is there a `wave' of changing wavefunction, spreading our from the atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
pawelsobko,

I do not know if there is a definite answer, as the solution may depend on whether you think of the wavefunction as a statistical tool or a 'real' thing.

Either way, I have read a report about how Gisin's group tried to measure the 'speed' of quantum teleportation, with the hope of seeing when the state of a system changes. I beelive that the result was that the state changed faster than everything else. See:
Sundays in a Quantum Engineer's Life
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0104140

Hope that helps.
b-

pawelsobko said:
Question: does the wavefunction change at the same moment in the whole space? Or, as Zeh suggests, is there a `wave' of changing wavefunction, spreading our from the atom?

Isn't this one of those questions that the principles of quantum theory assure can never be answered ... no matter how one interprets the reality of the wavefuntion?

beautiful1 said:
pawelsobko,

I do not know if there is a definite answer, as the solution may depend on whether you think of the wavefunction as a statistical tool or a 'real' thing.

Either way, I have read a report about how Gisin's group tried to measure the 'speed' of quantum teleportation, with the hope of seeing when the state of a system changes. I beelive that the result was that the state changed faster than everything else. See:
Sundays in a Quantum Engineer's Life
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0104140

Hope that helps.
b-

Thanks. I'll go through Gisin's paper. I agree that the state of the matter seems to be somewhat undecided. This is why I asked...
If you are interested there are more papers that touch the subject, for example:
Hegerfeldt, G. C. Instantaneous Spreading and Einstein Causality in Quantum Theory, Annalen Phys., 1998, 7, 716-725 http://lanl.arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9809030,
Hegerfeldt, G. C. Horzela, A. & Kapuscik, E. (ed.) Particle localization and the Notion of Einstein Causality Extensions of Quantum Theory, Apeiron, Montreal, 2001 http://lanl.arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0109044,
Schulman, L. S. Muga, J. G.; Sala Mayato, R. & Egusquiza, I. L. (ed.) Jump Time and Passage Time: The Duration of a Quantum Transition Time in Quantum Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2002, 99-+ http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0103151,
Schulman, L. S. Observational line broadening and the duration of a quantum jump J. Phys. A: Math. Gen., 1997, 30, L293-L299 http://www.iop.org/EJ/S/UNREG/q54YpQjj7HhELDA.xUqjiw/article/0305-4470/30/9/006/a709l6.pdf,
Uffink, J. The rate of evolution of a quantum state American Journal of Physics, 1993, 61, 935-936 http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~wwwgrnsl/jos/publications/evolution/evol3.pdf ,

Last edited by a moderator:
pawelsobko said:
... I agree that the state of the matter seems to be somewhat undecided. This is why I asked ...
I don't think that the state of the matter (regarding your question) is undecided. Or, if it is, it doesn't need to be.

Wavefunction collapse is, by definition, instantaneous and nonphysical. It occurs in the unitary space where quantum states evolve, not in the 3D space where empirical data is gathered.

mgelfan said:
I don't think that the state of the matter (regarding your question) is undecided. Or, if it is, it doesn't need to be.

Wavefunction collapse is, by definition, instantaneous and nonphysical. It occurs in the unitary space where quantum states evolve, not in the 3D space where empirical data is gathered.

Whether the transition is in wavefunction picture or in abstract Hilbert space, the consequences should be the same. Or we would get different QM predictions depending on what representation we use. This would spell trouble for QM...

But even in Hilbert space, abstracting from any physical spacetime representation, we can ask the question whether the transition is really instantaneous. In my search I have not found any convincing argument that it must be so.

Whether using GRW or Jadczyk's EEQM one may consider the time between "localisation" events and the time of such events.

pawelsobko said:
Whether the transition is in wavefunction picture or in abstract Hilbert space, the consequences should be the same. Or we would get different QM predictions depending on what representation we use. This would spell trouble for QM...

But even in Hilbert space, abstracting from any physical spacetime representation, we can ask the question whether the transition is really instantaneous. In my search I have not found any convincing argument that it must be so.

Whether using GRW or Jadczyk's EEQM one may consider the time between "localisation" events and the time of such events.
The transition from one physical state to another, different, physical state can't be instantaneous. Such transitions involve changes in the positions of the objects comprising the physical state(s). There is some time interval associated with any measurement operation.

However, if we're talking about changes in an imaginary space, then instantaneous transitions are no problem at all. The evolution of quantum states occurs in an imaginary space. Quantum states are not real physical states. This is precisely why quantum nonlocality, say, is no threat to relativity.

I think your original question is a matter of interpretation (taste) and semantics, notwithstanding that answering it one way or the other might give some sort of satisfaction.

I don't see any interpretation or semantic adjustment which gives the question any physical meaning. One can take quantum states to be real physical states, one can take wavefunctions to be real physical waves in some real physical medium (of unknown and unknowable structure), but that would be a matter of faith.

mgelfan said:
The transition from one physical state to another, different, physical state can't be instantaneous. Such transitions involve changes in the positions of the objects comprising the physical state(s). There is some time interval associated with any measurement operation.

However, if we're talking about changes in an imaginary space, then instantaneous transitions are no problem at all. The evolution of quantum states occurs in an imaginary space. Quantum states are not real physical states.
This is strict Copenhagen interpretation. A lot of people accept it (I don't). But my initial question remains valid even in this interpretation. Let me rephrase it as follows: is it possible to measure, in any way, the difference in the state of the atom after emitting the photon, close to the atom and, say, at Betelguese? Would such measurements give the same time, regardless of the place/distance from the center of the atom? Or would there be measurable differences, which in turn might be interpreted by "spreading of change in nonphysical entity such as wavefunction"?

mgelfan said:
I think your original question is a matter of interpretation (taste) and semantics, notwithstanding that answering it one way or the other might give some sort of satisfaction.

I don't see any interpretation or semantic adjustment which gives the question any physical meaning. One can take quantum states to be real physical states, one can take wavefunctions to be real physical waves in some real physical medium (of unknown and unknowable structure), but that would be a matter of faith.

Remember, for forty years after EPR paper the topic seemed purely philosophical discussion between Einstein and Bohr. Then in late 1970's it became, reluctantly, a topic of experiments, then triumphant Aspect et al QM victory and now we have industry of quantum cryptography and computing.
So the border of philosophy and experiment is shifting. Faith may be decided, maybe five years from now, maybe today, by some smart experimentalist...

Related to Locality/nonlocality for bound states - a question

1. What is the concept of locality and nonlocality for bound states?

Locality refers to the idea that interactions between particles are limited to their immediate surroundings, while nonlocality suggests that interactions can occur over larger distances. In the context of bound states, this refers to the behavior of particles that are bound together by a force, such as in an atom or molecule.

2. How does locality/nonlocality affect the behavior of bound states?

The degree of locality or nonlocality in a bound state can greatly impact its behavior. For example, in a highly local bound state like an atom, the electrons are tightly bound to the nucleus and their interactions are limited to a small distance. On the other hand, in a highly nonlocal bound state like a superconductor, electrons can interact over long distances and exhibit collective behavior.

3. Can bound states exhibit both locality and nonlocality?

Yes, it is possible for bound states to exhibit both locality and nonlocality simultaneously. This is often seen in systems where there are multiple forces acting on the bound particles, resulting in a combination of local and nonlocal interactions.

4. Are there any real-world applications of locality/nonlocality for bound states?

Yes, the concepts of locality and nonlocality for bound states have many applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum chemistry, and materials science. For example, understanding the degree of nonlocality in superconductors is crucial for developing more efficient and high-performance materials.

5. How is the concept of locality/nonlocality for bound states related to quantum mechanics?

The principles of quantum mechanics play a significant role in understanding the behavior of bound states and how locality and nonlocality affect them. In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions that can extend over large distances, leading to nonlocal effects. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where particles are described as point-like objects with strictly local interactions.