Location of a diffraction pattern

In summary, the individual diffraction dots from the diffraction grating using a laser will not be located in the same spot on the screen as the laser itself. The diffraction pattern can be calculated using the standard diffraction equation, and its location can be adjusted by changing the distance between the screen/CCD array and the slit(s). Additionally, the diffraction pattern is more accurately described in terms of angles rather than linear dimensions. The central and other orders of the diffraction pattern may be located on the same plane as the point source, but this is dependent on the specific setup and cannot be determined without further information.
shahbaznihal
I am trying to make a spectrometer. At the moment, I have an optical setup consisting of a laser, diffraction grating and a screen/detector in a straight line. I am trying to understand how to estimate the location of the diffraction pattern of the slit on the screen? Is it the same location on the screen as the location of the laser/source?

Science news on Phys.org
shahbaznihal said:
I am trying to make a spectrometer. At the moment, I have an optical setup consisting of a laser, diffraction grating and a screen/detector in a straight line. I am trying to understand how to estimate the location of the diffraction pattern of the slit on the screen? Is it the same location on the screen as the location of the laser/source?

Wait, what?

A "diffraction pattern" from a diffraction grating using a laser will consist of more than just one dot on the screen. So how can it even be "the same location on the screen as the location of the laser"? Or are you looking at just the 0th order?

The location of the diffraction dots will follow the standard diffraction equation for diffraction grating.

Zz.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the confusion. What I really want to know is how to calculate the location of the entire diffraction pattern on the screen to place the linear CCD array.

I hope this clarifies the confusion.

It depends on your diffraction grating - you can make one to produce more or less any pattern you want. Assuming it's a set of parallel lines, then the pattern is (at least theoretically) infinitely wide. The brightest part, however, should be more or less where the laser would strike the screen if the grating wasn't there.

I am only targetting to capture the first and central spot. I think it should be on the sample plane as the point source.

shahbaznihal said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the confusion. What I really want to know is how to calculate the location of the entire diffraction pattern on the screen to place the linear CCD array.

This question makes no sense especially after I've given you the diffraction equation. Why can't you find the location of the spots from that?

Zz.

shahbaznihal said:
Hi,

The diffraction pattern is not imaged onto any particular plane. Varying the distance between screen/CCD array and slit(s) will simply result in the diffraction pattern size changing. The diffraction pattern is more cleanly described in terms of angles, not linear dimensions.

Likes Cryo and Ibix
Andy Resnick said:
The diffraction pattern is not imaged onto any particular plane. Varying the distance between screen/CCD array and slit(s) will simply result in the diffraction pattern size changing. The diffraction pattern is more cleanly described in terms of angles, not linear dimensions.

Correct. But as a while (the central and the other orders) are located on the same plane as the point source? Assume that you have a point source (the laser), would the entire diffraction pattern be located on the same plane as the point source?

Thanks for taking time to reply.

shahbaznihal said:
Correct. But as a while (the central and the other orders) are located on the same plane as the point source? Assume that you have a point source (the laser), would the entire diffraction pattern be located on the same plane as the point source?

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking- specifically "[...] entire diffraction pattern be located on the same plane as the point source?" doesn't make sense (to me).

shahbaznihal said:
But as a while (the central and the other orders) are located on the same plane as the point source?
Assuming a 1-D grating, I would think so...

1566849058454.png

1566849170520.png

What is a diffraction pattern?

A diffraction pattern is a pattern of light and dark areas that is produced when a beam of light passes through a narrow slit or an opening with a regular pattern, such as a grating. It is caused by the interference of light waves as they pass through the opening and diffract, or bend, around the edges.

How is the location of a diffraction pattern determined?

The location of a diffraction pattern is determined by the wavelength of the light, the size of the opening or grating, and the distance between the opening and the screen where the pattern is observed. The pattern will be located at a specific angle from the center of the opening, known as the diffraction angle.

What factors can affect the location of a diffraction pattern?

The location of a diffraction pattern can be affected by the size of the opening or grating, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the opening and the screen. Additionally, the material and shape of the opening or grating can also affect the location of the pattern.

How can the location of a diffraction pattern be manipulated?

The location of a diffraction pattern can be manipulated by changing the size of the opening or grating, the wavelength of the light, or the distance between the opening and the screen. Additionally, by using different materials or shapes for the opening or grating, the location of the pattern can also be altered.

What is the significance of the location of a diffraction pattern?

The location of a diffraction pattern can provide information about the properties of the light, such as its wavelength, and the physical characteristics of the opening or grating. It is also an important concept in the study of optics and can be used to analyze and understand the behavior of light waves.