Locus of point of intersection of tangents

I got it. In summary, the locus of the point of intersection of tangents to the parabolas y^2=4(x+1) and y^2=8(x+2) which are at right angles is x+3=0. This is found by finding the equations of the tangent lines, setting them equal to each other and solving for x. The final result is x+3=0.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Locus of the point of intersection of tangents to the parabolas y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4(x+1) and y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=8(x+2) which are at right angles, is

Homework Equations

Equation of tangent for first parabola
t[itex]_{1}[/itex]y=x+1+at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
Equation of tangent for second parabola
t[itex]_{2}[/itex]y=x+2+bt[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us assume that the point of intersection of tangents is (h,k)
Since it lies on the tangent
∴kt[itex]_{1}[/itex]=h+1+at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-kt[itex]_{1}[/itex]+(h+1)=0
t[itex]_{1}[/itex]t[itex]_{2}[/itex]=h+1 (product of roots)
Also t[itex]_{1}[/itex]t[itex]_{2}[/itex]=-1 (Since they are at right angles)
∴required locus = x+2=0

I can't understand where I'm wrong. Is the equation of tangent incorrect? Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Locus of the point of intersection of tangents to the parabolas y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4(x+1) and y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=8(x+2) which are at right angles, is

Homework Equations

Equation of tangent for first parabola
t[itex]_{1}[/itex]y=x+1+at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
Equation of tangent for second parabola
t[itex]_{2}[/itex]y=x+2+bt[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us assume that the point of intersection of tangents is (h,k)
Since it lies on the tangent
∴kt[itex]_{1}[/itex]=h+1+at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-kt[itex]_{1}[/itex]+(h+1)=0
t[itex]_{1}[/itex]t[itex]_{2}[/itex]=h+1 (product of roots)
Also t[itex]_{1}[/itex]t[itex]_{2}[/itex]=-1 (Since they are at right angles)
∴required locus = x+2=0

I can't understand where I'm wrong. Is the equation of tangent incorrect? Please Help.

I can not follow your derivation. What have you got for a and b to make the equations tangent to the parabolas? The product of roots in the equation in red is (h+1)/a. t2 is not the other root of the equation for the first tangent line. Use the equations of both tangent lines to get the intersection.

I also got x=const. for the locus, but different from yours.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
I can not follow your derivation. What have you got for a and b to make the equations tangent to the parabolas? The product of roots in the equation in red is (h+1)/a. t2 is not the other root of the equation for the first tangent line. Use the equations of both tangent lines to get the intersection.

I also got x=const. for the locus, but different from yours.

ehild

Hey actually i arrived at the wrong answer because I only considered the first equation but not second. By solving both I get x+2=0 and x+4=0. Adding these two yields 2x+6=0 or x+3=0 which is the required locus.

P.S.- I wrote product of roots as h+1 because a=1. so (h+1)/a=(h+1)/1=(h+1) :wink:

utkarshakash said:
Hey actually i arrived at the wrong answer because I only considered the first equation but not second. By solving both I get x+2=0 and x+4=0. Adding these two yields 2x+6=0 or x+3=0 which is the required locus.
x+2=0 and x+4=0 contradict to each other, so that is not the right way to go, but the end result is correct. I got the same .

utkarshakash said:
P.S.- I wrote product of roots as h+1 because a=1. so (h+1)/a=(h+1)/1=(h+1) :wink:

But you kept that a=1 top secret. It took me some time to find out what your equations mean.

ehild

As it is a nice problem, and the OP has solved it, I write out the steps in a more ordered form.

We have two parabolas

(1)[tex]y^2=4(x+1)[/tex]
(2)[tex]y^2=8(x+2)[/tex]

The tangent lines are
[tex]x=ty+q[/tex].
Find q in terms of t so the line is tangent to the parabola, that is, the line and the parabola have a single common point. Substitute for x into the equation of parabola(1):
(1)
[tex]y^2-4t_1y-4(q_1+1)=0[/tex]
The quadratic equation has a single solution, so the discriminant is zero--> [tex]D=16t_1^2+16(q_1+1)=0\rightarrow q_1=-(t_1^2+1)[/tex]
(2)Substitute the equation of the tangent line for x in the equation of the second parabola: [tex]y^2-8t_21y-8(q_1+2)=0[/tex]
The discriminant is [tex]D=64t_2^2+32(q_2+2)=0\rightarrow q_2=-2(t_1^2+1)[/tex]

The tangent lines are perpendicular so [tex]t_1t_2=-1[/tex]
Let t1=t, t2=-1/t. With that notation:
(1)[tex]x=ty-(t^2+1) \rightarrow y=x/t+(t+1/t)[/tex]
(2)[tex]x=-y/t-2(-1/t^2+1) \rightarrow y=-tx-2(t+1/t)[/tex]
Subtract the expressions for y to get the abscissa of the locus.

ehild

ehild said:
As it is a nice problem, and the OP has solved it, I write out the steps in a more ordered form.

We have two parabolas

(1)[tex]y^2=4(x+1)[/tex]
(2)[tex]y^2=8(x+2)[/tex]

The tangent lines are
[tex]x=ty+q[/tex].
Find q in terms of t so the line is tangent to the parabola, that is, the line and the parabola have a single common point. Substitute for x into the equation of parabola(1):
(1)
[tex]y^2-4t_1y-4(q_1+1)=0[/tex]
The quadratic equation has a single solution, so the discriminant is zero--> [tex]D=16t_1^2+16(q_1+1)=0\rightarrow q_1=-(t_1^2+1)[/tex]
(2)Substitute the equation of the tangent line for x in the equation of the second parabola: [tex]y^2-8t_21y-8(q_1+2)=0[/tex]
The discriminant is [tex]D=64t_2^2+32(q_2+2)=0\rightarrow q_2=-2(t_1^2+1)[/tex]

The tangent lines are perpendicular so [tex]t_1t_2=-1[/tex]
Let t1=t, t2=-1/t. With that notation:
(1)[tex]x=ty-(t^2+1) \rightarrow y=x/t+(t+1/t)[/tex]
(2)[tex]x=-y/t-2(-1/t^2+1) \rightarrow y=-tx-2(t+1/t)[/tex]
Subtract the expressions for y to get the abscissa of the locus.

ehild

Thanks for helping.

Related to Locus of point of intersection of tangents

What is the locus of point of intersection of tangents?

The locus of point of intersection of tangents is the set of all points that satisfy the conditions of being the point of intersection of two tangents drawn from a fixed point to a given curve.

How is the locus of point of intersection of tangents related to the given curve?

The locus of point of intersection of tangents is closely related to the given curve, as it is the set of all points on the curve where two tangents can be drawn from a fixed point.

What does the locus of point of intersection of tangents represent?

The locus of point of intersection of tangents represents the path traced by the point of intersection of two tangents as the fixed point moves along the given curve.

What are the properties of the locus of point of intersection of tangents?

The properties of the locus of point of intersection of tangents depend on the properties of the given curve. In general, the locus is a curve that passes through the fixed point and is symmetric about the tangent at that point.

How is the locus of point of intersection of tangents useful in mathematics?

The locus of point of intersection of tangents is useful in various mathematical problems, such as finding the equations of tangents to a curve or determining the shortest distance between a point and a curve. It also has applications in fields such as physics and engineering.