1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locus of point of intersection of tangents

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Locus of the point of intersection of tangents to the parabolas y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=4(x+1) and y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=8(x+2) which are at right angles, is

2. Relevant equations
    Equation of tangent for first parabola
    t[itex]_{1}[/itex]y=x+1+at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
    Equation of tangent for second parabola
    t[itex]_{2}[/itex]y=x+2+bt[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let us assume that the point of intersection of tangents is (h,k)
    Since it lies on the tangent
    ∴kt[itex]_{1}[/itex]=h+1+at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]at[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-kt[itex]_{1}[/itex]+(h+1)=0
    t[itex]_{1}[/itex]t[itex]_{2}[/itex]=h+1 (product of roots)
    Also t[itex]_{1}[/itex]t[itex]_{2}[/itex]=-1 (Since they are at right angles)
    ∴required locus = x+2=0

I can't understand where I'm wrong. Is the equation of tangent incorrect? Please Help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can not follow your derivation. What have you got for a and b to make the equations tangent to the parabolas? The product of roots in the equation in red is (h+1)/a. t2 is not the other root of the equation for the first tangent line. Use the equations of both tangent lines to get the intersection.

I also got x=const. for the locus, but different from yours.

ehild

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. Sep 14, 2012 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Hey actually i arrived at the wrong answer because I only considered the first equation but not second. By solving both I get x+2=0 and x+4=0. Adding these two yields 2x+6=0 or x+3=0 which is the required locus.

P.S.- I wrote product of roots as h+1 because a=1. so (h+1)/a=(h+1)/1=(h+1) :wink:

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x+2=0 and x+4=0 contradict to each other, so that is not the right way to go, but the end result is correct. I got the same .

But you kept that a=1 top secret. It took me some time to find out what your equations mean.

ehild

6. Sep 15, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As it is a nice problem, and the OP has solved it, I write out the steps in a more ordered form.

We have two parabolas

(1)[tex]y^2=4(x+1)[/tex]
    (2)[tex]y^2=8(x+2)[/tex]

The tangent lines are
    [tex]x=ty+q[/tex].
    Find q in terms of t so the line is tangent to the parabola, that is, the line and the parabola have a single common point. Substitute for x into the equation of parabola(1):
    (1)
    [tex]y^2-4t_1y-4(q_1+1)=0[/tex]
    The quadratic equation has a single solution, so the discriminant is zero--> [tex]D=16t_1^2+16(q_1+1)=0\rightarrow q_1=-(t_1^2+1)[/tex]
    (2)Substitute the equation of the tangent line for x in the equation of the second parabola: [tex]y^2-8t_21y-8(q_1+2)=0[/tex]
    The discriminant is [tex]D=64t_2^2+32(q_2+2)=0\rightarrow q_2=-2(t_1^2+1)[/tex]

The tangent lines are perpendicular so [tex]t_1t_2=-1[/tex]
    Let t1=t, t2=-1/t. With that notation:
    (1)[tex]x=ty-(t^2+1) \rightarrow y=x/t+(t+1/t)[/tex]
    (2)[tex]x=-y/t-2(-1/t^2+1) \rightarrow y=-tx-2(t+1/t)[/tex]
    Subtract the expressions for y to get the abscissa of the locus.

ehild

7. Sep 15, 2012 #6

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thanks for helping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook