Log and Polynomial Question

In summary, logarithmic functions involve the use of logarithms and are typically written in the form of y = log<sub>b</sub>(x), while polynomial functions involve variables raised to any power and are typically written in the form of y = ax<sup>n</sup> + bx<sup>n-1</sup> + ... + k. The key properties of logarithmic functions include vertical asymptotes at x = 0 and always increasing behavior, while polynomial functions have a finite number of zeros and can have multiple turning points. To graph these functions, one can create a table of values for logarithmic functions and use factoring or the quadratic formula for polynomial functions. The domain and range of logarithmic functions are all positive real
Darken1
First Question:
Solve the following system of equations
log{x+1}y=2
log{y+1}x=1/4

Work:
Turned them into equations
(x+1)^2=y (y+1)^(1/4)=x

Substituted second equation into the first equation
((y+1)^(1/4)+1)^2=y

factored out and eventually got
((y+1)^1/4)^2+2((y+1)^1/4)+1=y
Tried to use quadratic formula (a=1,b=2,c=1) and got y=-1. -1=-1 Didn't seem relevant.

Tried to factor it out by substituting x = (y+1)^1/4
(x+1)(x+1)=x^4-1 x^4-1=(x^2+1)(x^2-1)=(x^2+1)(x+1)(x-1)
(x+1)(x+1)=(x^2+1)(x+1)(x-1)
(x+1)=(x^2+1)(x-1)
(x+1)=(x^2+1)(x-1)
-(x+1) = -(x+1)
0=(x^2+1)(x-1)-(x+1)
x^3-x^2-2=0
Couldn't factor it out.

Also noticed
(x+1)(x+1)=y
x=-1,y=0
Second Question:
Consider the polynomial p(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d, where a,b,c,d are real numbers.

Given that 1+i and 1-2i are zeroes of p(x), find the values of a,b,c,d.

Work:
x=1+i and x=1-2i are zeroes
(x-1-i)(x-1+2i)=0
Factored it out
x^2-2x+ix+3
Seems to be missing another factor to get to the original equation.
Perhaps I could divide the original equation by the equation I factored out to get the last factor?
No idea at all

Edit: I need sleep geez...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Darken said:
First Question:
Solve the following system of equations
log{x+1}_{2} log{y+1}_{¼}
I don't understand the problem here, because the "system of equations" has no equals signs and therefore doesn't consist of equations.

Darken said:
Eventually
0=x^3-x^2+x-1
Couldn't factor it out.
However, if you are correct in getting to the equation $0 = x^3 - x^2 + x - 1$ then you can solve it by writing it as $0 = x^2(x-1) + x-1 = (x^2+1)(x-1).$ That has just one real solution $x=1$.

Darken said:
Second Question:
Consider the polynomial p(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d, where a,b,c,d are real numbers.

Given that 1+i and 1-2i are zeroes of p(x), find the values of a,b,c,d.

Work:
x=1+i and x=1-2i are zeroes
(x-1-i)(x-1+2i)=0
Factored it out
x^2-2x+ix+3
Seems to be missing another factor to get to the original equation.
Perhaps I could divide the original equation by the equation I factored out to get the last factor?
No idea at all
Hint: If a polynomial with real coefficients has a complex zero $u+iv$, then the complex conjugate $u-iv$ is also a zero of the polynomial.

Opalg said:
I don't understand the problem here, because the "system of equations" has no equals signs and therefore doesn't consist of equations.

However, if you are correct in getting to the equation $0 = x^3 - x^2 + x - 1$ then you can solve it by writing it as $0 = x^2(x-1) + x-1 = (x^2+1)(x-1).$ That has just one real solution $x=1$.Hint: If a polynomial with real coefficients has a complex zero $u+iv$, then the complex conjugate $u-iv$ is also a zero of the polynomial.

My bad, fixed the problem.My equation was wrong.
So from the previous equation
(x+1)=(x^2+1)(x-1)
I just factored out right hand side and minused (x+1) from both sides to get x^3 - x^2 + x - 1-(x+1)=0.
Supposed to have been
x^3-x^2-2=0
Don't know how to factor this one out.
Side Note: How did you convert x^2(x−1)+x−1 into (x^2+1)(x−1)? Is there an equation for it?

Hm so I guess that means
x=1+i and x=1-2i
x=1-i and x=1+2i
are all zeroes? Think I can go from there.

Last edited:
Darken said:
My bad, fixed the problem.My equation was wrong.
So from the previous equation
(x+1)=(x^2+1)(x-1)
I just factored out right hand side and minused (x+1) from both sides to get x^3 - x^2 + x - 1-(x+1)=0.
Apparently you multiplied rather than "factored". There was no point in that - the standard method for solving such equations is to factor so if the expression is already factored, leave it that way!

Supposed to have been
x^3-x^2-2=0
Don't know how to factor this one out.
It had already been factored for you!

Side Note: How did you convert x^2(x−1)+x−1 into (x^2+1)(x−1)? Is there an equation for it?
The "distributive rule": ab+ ac= a(b+ c). Here, the "a" is x-1: x^2(x- 1)+ 1(x- 1)= (x^2+ 1)(x- 1).
Hm so I guess that means
x=1+i and x=1-2i
x=1-i and x=1+2i
are all zeroes? Think I can go from there.
No, if (x^2+ 1)(x- 1)= 0 then x^2+ 1= 0 or x- 1= 0. The first of those is the same as x^2= -1 which has roots i and -i. x- 1= 0 only for x= 1. The three roots of the cubic equation are i, -i, and 1. I have no idea where you got "1+i", "1- 2i", "1- i" and "1+ 2i".

1. What is the difference between logarithmic and polynomial functions?

Logarithmic functions involve the use of logarithms, which are the inverse of exponential functions. They are typically written in the form of y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm. On the other hand, polynomial functions involve the use of variables raised to any power, such as y = x2 or y = 2x3. They are typically written in the form of y = axn + bxn-1 + ... + k, where a, b, and k are constants and n is the degree of the polynomial.

2. What are the key properties of logarithmic and polynomial functions?

The key property of logarithmic functions is that they have vertical asymptotes at x = 0 and are always increasing. The key property of polynomial functions is that they have a finite number of zeros and can have multiple turning points depending on the degree of the polynomial.

3. How do you graph logarithmic and polynomial functions?

To graph logarithmic functions, it is helpful to create a table of values and plot the points on a coordinate plane. Make sure to include the vertical asymptote at x = 0 and to label the axes appropriately. To graph polynomial functions, it is helpful to find the zeros and any turning points by factoring or using the quadratic formula. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them to create a smooth curve.

4. What is the domain and range of logarithmic and polynomial functions?

The domain of logarithmic functions is all positive real numbers, since logarithms cannot be taken of negative numbers or zero. The range is all real numbers. The domain and range of polynomial functions can vary depending on the degree and leading coefficient of the polynomial, but they are typically all real numbers.

5. How are logarithmic and polynomial functions used in real life?

Logarithmic functions are often used to represent data that grows or decays exponentially, such as population growth or radioactive decay. Polynomial functions are used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air or the shape of a rollercoaster track. They are also used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as signal processing and data analysis.