Can I Plot Log (x) with Error Bars without Changing err_x Values?

• Thread starter Lorna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Log
In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriate way to plot error bars when graphing the logarithm of values. The conclusion is to plot log(1 + error) for positive error and -log(1 - error) for negative error, with the "1" being the only number that will make the error bars tend to 0 as the error approaches 0.
Lorna
Hello,

I have a column of 'x' values, each with an error 'err_x' serving as error bars.

My question is: If I need to plot 'log(x)', Do I need to make any changes to 'err_x' to reflect the log operation before plotting them as error bars ?

Thank you in advance

Lorna

Physics news on Phys.org
I would plot log(1 + error) for positive error and -log(1 - error) for negative error. That way error is on the same scale.

What is the significance of the '1' ? and why not just log(error)?

Lorna said:
What is the significance of the '1' ? and why not just log(error)?

Why don't you pick some errors in -1 < e < 1 and see for yourself?

Thank you, althought I still don't understand why "1" not another number

Lorna said:
Thank you, althought I still don't understand why "1" not another number

It's the only number that will make the error bars tend to 0 as the error approaches 0. With a smaller value very small errors won't show up at all (calculation error trying to take a negative log); with a larger value errors won't ever get closer than a certain distance from the point no matter how small the errors are.

Now I see. Thank you SO MUCH!

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the opposite of an exponent. It represents the power to which a number (called the base) must be raised to produce a given value. For example, log base 2 of 8 is equal to 3, because 2 to the power of 3 is 8.

2. How is the logarithm of a number related to its error?

The logarithm of a number is not directly related to its error. However, when taking the logarithm of a value, the error in the logarithm is proportional to the error in the original value. This means that a small error in the original value can result in a larger error in the logarithm.

3. What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln(x), is the logarithm with base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. It is commonly used in scientific and mathematical calculations.

4. How do you calculate the error in a logarithm?

The error in a logarithm can be calculated using the formula: error in log(x) = (error in x) / x. This formula applies when taking the logarithm of a single value. When taking the logarithm of multiple values, the formula becomes: error in log(x) = (1 / ln 10) * (standard deviation of x) / (average of x).

5. What is a common misconception about logarithms and error?

A common misconception is that taking the logarithm of a value will always reduce its error. While this may be true in some cases, it is not always the case. The error in the logarithm is dependent on the error in the original value, so if the original value has a large error, the error in the logarithm may also be large.