1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithm rules

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    Having an issue with applying logarithm rules. I'm trying to find the value of an exponent in an equation of the form: [itex]A=B\frac{(1+x)^n-1}{x}[/itex]
    I have reviewed logarithm rules and cannot get to the answer, n, which is the only unkown variable in the equation. I've divided A by B, but am stuck at that point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

Just to be more clear I've plugged in some sample values in the event my variable choices were confusing:

[itex]230,000=1500\frac{(1+.00077)^n-1}{.00077}[/itex]

I'm now at

[itex]153.33=\frac{(1+.00077)^n-1}{.00077}[/itex]

...and stuck :( I think I need to log both sides, something like [itex]log 153.33=(n)log \frac{(1+.00077)-1}{.00077}[/itex] .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2
    If you divide by B, I think there is another step you could also come up with before the pace changes.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    log153.33=(n)log(1+.00077)−1.00077

I think you are on the right track sort of but that step you took does not bring down the 'n'. Need to do some more to RHS before that can happen.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4
    What do you mean by RHS?

6. Mar 4, 2013 #5
    right hand side

7. Mar 4, 2013 #6
    If I simplify the RHS further, isn't it just 1? [itex]\frac{(1+.00077)-1}{.00077}[/itex]

8. Mar 4, 2013 #7
    From there, to try to get the RHS to look like this:
    (1+x)^n

To do that, you will have to simplify by adding, dividing, and multiplying values to both sides of the equation. Try and figure out the correct order and with what values that will work.

Once you are left with (1+x)^n , you can take logarithms. Then finish isolating n.

GTG though. GL.

9. Mar 4, 2013 #8

Mute

Homework Helper

The problem that Square1 is trying to get you to notice is that you wrote something akin to ##\ln(a^n + b) = n \ln(a +b)##, which is NOT correct. You need to isolate the "an" (in your case, the (1+x)n) before you apply the logarithm to both sides of your equation.

10. Mar 4, 2013 #9
    jsully,

What are you trying to do? You have two variables in that expression, namely "x" and "n". If you specify x, then calculating n is trivial.

Ratch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook