Solve for x: A Frustrating Challenge!

• Thread starter footprints
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary: Thank you again for helpingNo problem. I'm glad you were able to solve it!In summary, the equations 2^(x+1) + 2^x = 9 and lg(x-8) + lg(9/2) = 1 + lg(x/4) can be solved by using basic logarithm rules and by taking the logarithm of both sides to get a linear equation in the form a*x = b. By solving for x, the solution is x = log (base 2) 3 and x = log (base 2) 3, respectively.
footprints
Solve for x.
[tex] 2^{x+1} + 2^x = 9[/tex]

[tex]lg(x-8) + lg(\frac{9}{2}) = 1+ lg(\frac{x}{4})[/tex]

I can't get the answers :grumpy:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
test for good formating...
Code:
2^x

:confused:

hmm sorry i guess I am not smart enough to use it.

anyway to answer your question, for the first simply re-write 2^(x+1) as (2^x) * 2, and then factor out 2^x.

this leaves (2^x) * (2+1) = 9
or 2^x = 3 from which x = Log (base 2) 3
for the second use the basic law the ln(x) + ln(y) = ln(x *y)
I hope I am not misleading you or that I am too confusing..

simply re-write 2^(x+1) as (2^x) * 2
Do u mean [tex]2^{2x}[/tex]?

no. for example 3^5 = 3^4 *3 (adding exponents) so it would be (2) * (2^x)

actually how do you write things nicely here? I am making everyone confused with my poor notation and my test failed :(

actually how do you write things nicely here?
Its called latex. To end a sentence in a latex form u have to type [/tex] and to start u have to type [tex] Click on quote to see how on the bottom right hand corner of a post to see how people use latex

I don't really get what u mean from this sentence onwards (2^x) * (2+1) = 9
but i'll just show u what i can do for this equation so far. I stuck after i get this [tex]2^{2x} \cdot 2 = 3^2[/tex]

thanks a lot for the LaTex help :)

anyway you agree that [tex]2^3 \cdot 2 = 2^4[/tex]

im not trying to sound too obvious but this is essentially adding the exponents.
This is simply
[tex]2^{x} \cdot 2 + 2^{x} = 9[/tex]

or by pulling out [tex]2^{x}[/tex] it is

[tex]2^{x} \cdot (3 + 1) = 9[/tex]
[tex]2^{x} = 3[/tex]
generally, log (x^y) = ylog(x)
this is basic rule that is always true regardless of the base or anything.

in our case, by taking the logarithm of both sides to get linear equation in the form [tex} a \cdot x = b[/tex]

so by taking both sides base 2, you get that x = log(2) base 3 (i don't know the latex for this)

anyway another basic rule i used here was that
log (x) base x = 1
this can be intuitively seen as the answer to the question, "what power do i raise x to to get x".

the answer is one, since [tex] x^1 = x[/tex]

hope that helps...

i also hope i didnt mess up the latex...

aside from a few typos pretty good for a first try if i may say so myself :)

sorry in one equation i miswrote it it actually is [tex] 2^x \cdot (2 + 1) = 9[/tex] not (3 + 1) sorry

Oops i made a mistake it isn't [tex]2^{2x} \cdot 2 = 3^2[/tex].
x = log(2) base 3 (i don't know the latex for this)
[tex]x = log_2{3} [/tex]

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "lg" means so I will assume that is a base 10 logarithm. Consider What "1" is expressed as a base 10 logarithm. You know that log(a) + log(b) = log(ab) so I would start there in solving the second one. The rest should follow fairly easily.

Edit they made a typo above. It should be 2^x(2+1)

Last edited by a moderator:
So the correct equation is [tex]2^x (2+1) = 3^2[/tex]
Then i take [tex]log_2[/tex] of both sides.
[tex]x log_2{2} + log_2{(2+1)} = 2 log_2{3}[/tex]
Right?
Got a feeling i did somethin wrong

Why don't you just divide both sides with 3?

Oh never mind. I just solved both. Thanks for sharing.

yes you did do it right on the previous page. Hope i helped you out somewhat :)

Oh u did help in some way. Its just that i did it another way. I let [tex]y = 2^x[/tex] then solve from there.

1. What is the purpose of solving for x in this challenge?

The purpose of solving for x is to find the value of the unknown variable in an equation. This can help us understand the relationship between different variables and solve complex problems.

2. How do I approach solving for x?

To solve for x, you can use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, isolating x on one side of the equation, and using inverse operations. It is important to follow the order of operations and check your work to ensure accuracy.

3. What if the equation has multiple variables?

If the equation has multiple variables, you may need to use substitution or elimination to solve for x. This involves replacing one variable with an equivalent expression or eliminating a variable through addition or subtraction.

4. Are there any special rules for solving for x?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving for x. For example, dividing both sides of an equation by a variable requires that the variable is not equal to zero. Also, you must be careful when dealing with exponents and square roots.

5. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in your solution for x into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if the x-coordinate of the point of intersection matches your solution.