Logic Design- Transfer Characteristics and Noise Margin

In summary, logic design is the process of creating digital circuits using electronic components to perform logical operations. Transfer characteristics refer to the relationship between input and output signals, while noise margin measures a circuit's ability to tolerate noise without affecting the output. Noise margin is important for circuit reliability and can be improved through the use of components with better noise immunity and proper grounding techniques.
gipc
Hello,
I have the following question which I'm not quite sure about.

I have the following Transfer Characteristic for a buffer.
You can see the graph breaks at the points (2,0),(3.5,4),(5,5)

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5052/captureen.jpg

I need to set the appropriate values of VOH, VIH, VIL and VOL to get the maximum possible Noise Margins.

How can I do it?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bumpity Bump :(

What is logic design?

Logic design is the process of creating digital circuits to perform logical operations. It involves using electronic components such as transistors, gates, and switches to design circuits that can perform complex logical functions.

What are transfer characteristics in logic design?

Transfer characteristics refer to the relationship between the input and output signals of a logic circuit. It shows how the output signal changes in response to different input signals, and is important in determining the functionality and performance of a logic circuit.

What is noise margin in logic design?

Noise margin is a measure of the ability of a logic circuit to tolerate noise in the input signal without affecting the output. It is defined as the difference between the minimum input voltage required to produce a valid output and the maximum input voltage that can be applied without causing an incorrect output.

Why is noise margin important in logic design?

Noise margin is important because it ensures the reliability and stability of a logic circuit. A higher noise margin means the circuit is less sensitive to noise and is less likely to produce incorrect outputs. It also allows for variations in the input signal without affecting the functionality of the circuit.

How can noise margin be improved in logic design?

Noise margin can be improved by using components with better noise immunity, such as Schmitt triggers or optical isolators. Adding decoupling capacitors and using proper grounding techniques can also help reduce noise in a circuit. Additionally, increasing the supply voltage can also improve noise margin, but this can also lead to increased power consumption.