Static voltage transfer characteristics

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the static voltage transfer characteristics for one input gates and how to apply this to gates with two inputs. The question is whether the noise margins for two input gates can be measured as a combination of the two characteristic curves or if they should be found separately. It is concluded that in most practical cases, the noise margins for two input gates can be measured as a combination of the two curves.
Shackman
I know how to find the static voltage transfer characteristics (output low voltage, input low voltage etc) for one input gates like an inverter from the graph of Vout v Vin.
My question is how do I apply this to gates with two inputs? These graphs have two curves by keeping one input constant and the fluctuating the other, and then vice versa.
Would the worst-case low noise margin become the smaller input low voltage minus the larger out low voltage and the worst-case large noise margin become the smaller output high margin minus the smaller input high margin?
Or would I find the noise margins as I would for one curve, and taking the smaller of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackman said:
I know how to find the static voltage transfer characteristics (output low voltage, input low voltage etc) for one input gates like an inverter from the graph of Vout v Vin.
My question is how do I apply this to gates with two inputs? These graphs have two curves by keeping one input constant and the fluctuating the other, and then vice versa.
Would the worst-case low noise margin become the smaller input low voltage minus the larger out low voltage and the worst-case large noise margin become the smaller output high margin minus the smaller input high margin?
Or would I find the noise margins as I would for one curve, and taking the smaller of the two?

I'm not understanding the question very well, but in general there is no interaction between multiple inputs on a gate.

I was tasked with finding the worst case noise margins from two input characteristic curves and I think that in most practical cases it is the same as finding the noise margins for one curve. I thought that the noise margins may be measured as a combination of the two curves doesn't seem likely. I wasn't sure and I had a homework assigned with that question so I wanted to make sure, but I will check back once it is graded to make sure!

1. What are static voltage transfer characteristics?

Static voltage transfer characteristics (SVTC) refer to the relationship between the input and output voltages of a device or circuit. It shows how the output voltage changes in response to different input voltages, and is typically graphed as a curve.

2. How is SVTC different from dynamic voltage transfer characteristics?

Dynamic voltage transfer characteristics (DVTC) show how the output voltage changes over time in response to varying input voltages. SVTC, on the other hand, only considers the steady-state relationship between input and output voltages.

3. Why is SVTC important in circuit design?

SVTC is important because it helps engineers understand the behavior of a device or circuit and how it will respond to different input voltages. This information is crucial in designing reliable and efficient circuits.

4. How are SVTCs measured?

SVTCs are typically measured by applying various input voltages to the device or circuit and recording the corresponding output voltages. These values are then plotted on a graph to create the SVTC curve.

5. What factors can affect SVTCs?

The SVTC of a device or circuit can be influenced by factors such as temperature, supply voltage, and load conditions. These can cause the curve to shift or change shape, which can impact the overall performance of the circuit.