1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Static voltage transfer characteristics

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    I know how to find the static voltage transfer characteristics (output low voltage, input low voltage etc) for one input gates like an inverter from the graph of Vout v Vin.
    My question is how do I apply this to gates with two inputs? These graphs have two curves by keeping one input constant and the fluctuating the other, and then vice versa.
    Would the worst-case low noise margin become the smaller input low voltage minus the larger out low voltage and the worst-case large noise margin become the smaller output high margin minus the smaller input high margin?
    Or would I find the noise margins as I would for one curve, and taking the smaller of the two?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not understanding the question very well, but in general there is no interaction between multiple inputs on a gate.

4. Jan 29, 2010 #3
    I was tasked with finding the worst case noise margins from two input characteristic curves and I think that in most practical cases it is the same as finding the noise margins for one curve. I thought that the noise margins may be measured as a combination of the two curves doesn't seem likely. I wasn't sure and I had a homework assigned with that question so I wanted to make sure, but I will check back once it is graded to make sure!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook