What Are the Noise Margins and Voltage Levels for CMOS Gates at 20 µA?

• Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos Gate
In summary, the homework problem requires determining the minimum acceptable values for VIH and VOH using VCC = 4.5 V and output current of 20 µA, as well as the maximum acceptable values for VOL and VIL under the same test conditions. The noise margins must also be computed, which can be done by searching the full datasheet for IOH and IOL values.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

1)Determine the min acceptable values for VIH and VOH using VCC = 4.5 V and output current of 20 µA.

2)Determine the maximum acceptable values for VOL and VIL under the same test conditions.

3)Compute the noise margins.

Homework Equations

i=v/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% sure how to read the figure, but the min accepted values seem to be VIH min= 3.15V, VIL min=1.35V.

My question is, what am I suppose to use the current for? I don't really see where to implement it.

2) Both seem to be 0V

3) Completing the first two steps first, not sure how to do this yet.

Attachments

• cmos2.png
    cmos2.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
orangeincup said:
accepted values seem to be VIH min= 3.15V, VIL min=1.35V.
Should be VIL max = 1.35V
orangeincup said:
what am I suppose to use the current for?
You cannot see it your attached, but if you seach the full datasheet, you will see that VIL and VIH is guaranteed by a IOH = 20μA and a IOL = 4mA.
orangeincup said:
2) Both seem to be 0V
3) Completing the first two steps first, not sure how to do this yet.
Search the full datasheet.

Likes NascentOxygen

Related to What Are the Noise Margins and Voltage Levels for CMOS Gates at 20 µA?

1. What is a CMOS gate?

A CMOS gate is a type of logic gate used in digital circuits that uses both complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) technology and transistors to implement Boolean logic operations. It is the most widely used type of gate due to its low power consumption and high speed.

2. What are the main characteristics of CMOS gates?

The main characteristics of CMOS gates include low power consumption, high speed, and the ability to operate at low voltages. They also have a high noise immunity, which means they are less affected by external interference.

3. How do CMOS gates work?

A CMOS gate consists of two types of transistors - P-type and N-type. These transistors are connected in a way that they can either be on or off, depending on the inputs. When the transistors are on, they allow current to flow and produce a high output. When the transistors are off, they block current flow and produce a low output.

4. What are the advantages of using CMOS gates?

The main advantages of using CMOS gates are their low power consumption, high speed, and high noise immunity. They also have a wide operating voltage range and can be easily integrated into complex digital circuits.

5. What are the applications of CMOS gates?

CMOS gates are used in a wide range of digital applications, including microprocessors, memory chips, and communication devices. They are also commonly used in integrated circuits for consumer electronics, such as smartphones, laptops, and televisions.