Can Retaking Physics Hurt My University Admission Chances?

• Schools
  • Thread starter mihalyism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the individual is retaking physics for the second time and is unsure about their academic future. They recently received a high midterm mark and are planning on taking other high school courses to improve their academic record. They are concerned about how retaking physics may affect their chances of getting into a good university, but it is possible for them to still be accepted if they demonstrate their dedication and improvement in other courses.
mihalyism
Well here's a little background of my situation. I am turning 20 soon and retaking physics for the second time, the first time I took it I got a 62%, in all honesty all my grade 12 marks were quite bad, only getting about a 70% average. After I graduated I was still really undecided of what I wanted to become, even today I am still unsure, but I have a slight idea that maybe some sort of engineering field would be something I would really enjoy. For 2 years I have been working nights, and just really wasting time, but recently I decided it was time to get myself together and try and get into a university.

Now not long ago I received my physics midterm mark and it is so far a 92%, I am also looking to take up other high school courses that I never took before like chemistry, biology, functions, and calculus. My teachers before said I'm not a stupid guy, its just I never really put in an effort to do really well. I hope that's changed now and I just want to know if retaking physics hurt my chances of getting into a really good university like University of Toronto, or something along those lines in engineering. And that if i do really well in those other courses I haven't ever took, would they be able to overlook the fact that I had to retake physics and see that I have changed from being a slacker?

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>It is very possible that you can get into a good university like the University of Toronto with your current academic record. However, it is important to note that universities consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, and overall academic performance when making their admissions decisions. Therefore, it is important to demonstrate that you have taken steps to become a more successful student and have maintained a strong academic record, even if you had to retake physics. Doing well in other courses that you have never taken before, such as chemistry, biology, functions, and calculus, can help demonstrate your dedication and capabilities as a student. Ultimately, it will be up to the discretion of the admissions committee, so make sure to put your best foot forward and highlight any successes you have had since retaking physics. Good luck!

FAQ: Can Retaking Physics Hurt My University Admission Chances?

1. What are the basic requirements for getting into university?

The requirements for getting into university vary depending on the school and program you are applying to. Generally, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, meet a minimum GPA requirement, and submit standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT). Some universities may also require letters of recommendation, essays, or interviews.

2. When should I start preparing for university admissions?

It is recommended to start preparing for university admissions as early as your sophomore or junior year of high school. This will give you enough time to research potential schools, take any necessary standardized tests, and work on your application materials. However, it is never too late to start preparing and some universities may have specific deadlines for transfer students.

3. What factors do universities consider when reviewing applications?

Universities typically consider a variety of factors when reviewing applications, including academic performance (GPA and test scores), extracurricular activities, personal essays, letters of recommendation, and any additional qualifications or achievements. Each university may weigh these factors differently, so it is important to research their specific requirements and priorities.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into my desired university?

To improve your chances of getting accepted into your desired university, it is important to focus on academic excellence, participate in extracurricular activities, and showcase your unique qualities and experiences through your application materials. Additionally, you can reach out to admissions counselors at the university for tips and advice on how to stand out as a candidate.

5. What should I do if I am not accepted into any universities?

If you are not accepted into any universities, it is important to not get discouraged. You can reach out to the universities for feedback on your application and work on improving any areas that may have been lacking. You can also consider applying to different universities or programs, taking a gap year to gain more experience, or exploring alternative education options such as community college or online courses.