Looking for a book on the Invention of Numbers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Embison
Messages
49
Reaction score
0
I'm reading a for dummies book right now and there is a short paragraph about the invention of numbers. I find it really interesting and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good book that is written about the invetion of numbers?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest "Number - the language of science" by Tobias Dantzig (p398). It's sort of a classic.
It's not just on the invention of numbers but rather on the evolution of the concept of number from prehistoric till modern times. I found it full of interesting ideas.
 
Thanx I really appreciate your reccomendation. It looks like a great book.


I also found another book when I searched Amazon for "invention of numbers"


This book came up and it also looks really good...



"The Universal History of Numbers: From Prehistory to the Invention of the Computer"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471393401/?tag=pfamazon01-20