Looking for a Detailed Explanation of How Transistors and Logic Gates Compute

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
stephenmalina
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi, I've looked everywhere for an explanation of this, including this forum, and none of them seem to satisfy the level of detail I am looking for. More specifically, I am interested in how processing units used a fixed setup of logic gates and transistors to perform universal computation. Also, while I understand how transistors function in storing/changing bits, I still don't where the logic gates are in the processing unit. Any help or guidance would be appreciated, Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Transistors and diodes are basic elements in the logic gates and logic gates are used for implementing flip flops. Flip flops which gets it's name because they have clock pulses as their inputs are used to store information. Types of logic devices we have is Programmable logic devices, Programmable Logic Arrays, Programmable Array logic: CPLD, FPGA.
Memory devices : ROM, PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, EAPROM.
 
Last edited:
The most basic computer imaginable performs a single calculation, with a fixed number of inputs, every time it is given a clock edge. It holds the output value until the next calculation is performed.

Then, over time you add more and more types of calculations.
 
Ok both those explanations make sense; so thank you. But, how is it that the same set of logic gates on a computer chip can compute any calculation that a universal computer can compute for the most part? Are the logic gates set up in a grid and certain ones activated after each clock switch?
 
Computational tasks are performed by a specific IC called Microprocessor. After years of development we have managed to integrate large number of gates on a single chip that it still mystifies some of us. From here on we will be looking to integrate more smaller sizes of transistors of the order 35nm on a microprocessor's chip. If possible maybe we will reduce the voltage that drives these millions of transistors for some reasons.
If you need more detailed information refer a book on Very Large Scale Integration.
The book will give detailed information on how transistor gates are etched on silicon wafers and how we are able to achieve such vast number of gates on such Silicon wafers.
 
Ok. I think I understand but I will definitely refer to the book you mentioned for more information.
 
default.jpg