Looking for a function with specific properties

In summary, the conversation is about finding a function of single variable with certain properties such as symmetry, differentiability, and upper and lower bounds. The function suggested by HS-Scientist, f(x)=1-ce^(-(bx)^2), meets all the requirements and can be modified by changing the value of b. The conversation also includes a discussion about the terminology for upper and lower bounds.
zeroseven
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to find a function of single variable f(x) with the following properties:

-It is symmetric around zero
-It is differentiable everywhere
-f'(x)≥0 for all x>0
-f'(x)=0 when x=0
-f'(x)≤0 for all x<0
(I think these last two actually follow from the first three?)
-It has an upper bound of 1
-It has a lower bound between 0 and 1, which I can set using a parameter c

For example, the function
f(x)=(c/10)*abs(x)+1-c when abs(x)≤10
f(x)=1 when abs(x)>10
(0≤c≤1)

fulfills all the conditions, except that it is not differentiable at x=-10, x=0 and x=10.

But I'm hoping to find a relatively simple function that would fulfill all those requirements.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very thankful!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about [itex] f(x)=1-ce^{-x^2} [/itex] with [itex] 0 \leq c \leq 1 [/itex] and a minimum of [itex] 1-c [/itex]?

Edit: And yes, the last two do follow from the first three. If [itex] f(-x)=f(x) [/itex], then [tex] f'(-x)=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(-x+h)-f(-x)}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x-h)-f(x)}{h}= -\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x)-f(x-h)}{h}=-f'(x) [/tex]

Or, if you prefer, [itex] f'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}f(x)= \frac{d}{dx}f(-x)=-f'(-x) [/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks HS! Impressively quick response.
That looks very promising actually. I might modify it with an extra parameter:
f(x)=1-ce^(-(bx)^2)

Then, by changing the value of b I can change the rate at which it approaches the upper bound.

Anyway, looks very good and helpful!PS Sorry about using text for the maths. Still trying to get the hang of this...

zeroseven said:
But I'm hoping to find a relatively simple function that would fulfill all those requirements.
[itex]f(x)=c[/itex] [itex](0 \leq c \leq 1)[/itex] surely fulfils all your requirements - and that's a pretty simple function!

That's true oay, thanks!

Maybe instead of
"-It has an upper bound of 1"
I should have written
-it's limit at +-Infinity = 1

Not sure if even that makes it watertight. But anyway, HS-Scientist's suggestion is more suitable for what I need ;)

zeroseven said:
That's true oay, thanks!

Maybe instead of
"-It has an upper bound of 1"
I should have written
-it's limit at +-Infinity = 1

Not sure if even that makes it watertight. But anyway, HS-Scientist's suggestion is more suitable for what I need ;)
I think when you say "upper bound", you mean to say "least upper bound" or "supremum". Similarly, "lower bound" should be "greatest lower bound" or "infimum".

Yes, that's sounds like what I was thinking of, and what I should have written!
It's been a while since I had to use this terminology...

1. What are the specific properties that a function can have?

A function can have various properties, but some of the most common ones include being continuous, differentiable, monotonic (increasing or decreasing), having a specific range or domain, having a specific type of symmetry, or having a certain rate of change.

2. How can I find a function with specific properties?

There are various methods for finding a function with specific properties. One method is to start with a general function and then manipulate its parameters until the desired properties are met. Another method is to use mathematical tools such as calculus, algebra, or graphing to identify and create a function with the desired properties.

3. Can a function have more than one property?

Yes, a function can have multiple properties. For example, a function can be both continuous and differentiable, or it can have a specific range and be monotonic.

4. Why is it important to find a function with specific properties?

Finding a function with specific properties can be important in various fields of science and mathematics. It can help to model and analyze real-world phenomena, make predictions, and solve problems. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the behavior and relationships between variables.

5. Is it possible to have a function with all possible properties?

No, it is not possible for a function to have all possible properties. Some properties may be contradictory or impossible to have simultaneously. For example, a function cannot be both continuous and discontinuous at the same time. However, a function can have a combination of properties that make it useful for a particular application.