Looking for a PHD in numerical relativity or lattice QCD in England

In summary, the speaker is finishing their second year of a masters program in theoretical physics in France and is interested in pursuing a PhD in lattice QCD and numerical relativity, preferably in England. They have not been able to find any universities in England that focus on these topics and are seeking recommendations from others. They are also looking for information on how to secure funding as a foreigner in the UK. Another speaker mentions that funding arrangements for French citizens should be the same as for British citizens due to the EU. The speaker plans to ask their professor for contacts in the field.
IRobot
Hi everyone,

I am finishing my second year of masters in France on theoretical physics and I am really really motivated in pursuing into a PhD. The topics that interest me the most are lattice QCD and numerical relativity (I want to focus on numerical methods). Also, I would like to work on one of this topics in England, for my PhD or my master internship (5months starting in March). I spent some time browsing the website of universities I know in England but none of them seemed to worked on that. So if one of you knows one laboratory/team searching those subjects I would be really happy and thankful to have this information.Thanks.

Also, I don't have any information about how to get funding for a foreigner in UK, if someone has been through that, I would be glad to hear about his story ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are a French Citizen, you should have no problem getting on in England: funding arrangements should be the same as for a British Citizen thanks to the EU.

Ok, thanks for the info nickbob00, I will ask my professor of GR next week about his contacts.

1. What is numerical relativity and lattice QCD?

Numerical relativity is a field of study within physics that uses computer simulations to solve Einstein's field equations and predict the behavior of gravitational systems. Lattice QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics) is a method of performing calculations in quantum field theory using a discrete four-dimensional space-time lattice.

2. Why is England a popular choice for pursuing a PhD in these fields?

England has a long history of excellence in scientific research and has some of the top universities in the world. In particular, there are several renowned institutions in England that have strong research programs in numerical relativity and lattice QCD.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a PhD in numerical relativity or lattice QCD?

There are many career opportunities for individuals with a PhD in these fields, including positions in academia, research institutions, and industry. Graduates can also work in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and data science.

4. What qualifications are required for admission to a PhD program in these fields in England?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science is necessary. Most programs also require applicants to have a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field and strong letters of recommendation.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in numerical relativity or lattice QCD?

The duration of a PhD program can vary, but on average it takes around 3-4 years to complete. This may also depend on the individual's research progress and the requirements of the specific program or university.