Looking for a simple generalization regarding absolute values

In summary, the conversation revolved around a proof involving absolute values and the triangle inequality. The participants discussed the applicability of the triangle inequality and its use in proving the desired result. They also discussed the use of summations in the proof and the connection to real numbers. Overall, the conversation focused on justifying a specific step in the proof and confirming its validity.
1MileCrash
Hi all,

I was working on a proof that essentially worked because:

|x-y|+|y-z| >= |x-y+y-z|

I knew this was true because, but I'm looking for a generalization in a way that I could write in a proof.

Can you say that when comparing two expressions of addition/subtraction that are identical except for absolute values, if one has more absolute value symbols, it is always greater (or equal)? But then that would also require me to say something like "it has to be a sum/can't be a "negative absolute value (subtraction).." It's hard to explain.

How would you justify the step I did?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean like
[tex] \left| \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i \right| \leq \sum_{i=1}^{n} |a_i| [/tex]

Your step is literally the triangle inequality. Let [itex] a_1 = x-y[/itex] and [itex] a_2 = y-z [/itex] then you just wrote that
[tex] |a_1 + a_2| \leq |a_1| + |a_2| [/tex]

Office_Shredder said:
Do you mean like
[tex] \left| \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i \right| \leq \sum_{i=1}^{n} |a_i| [/tex]

Your step is literally the triangle inequality. Let [itex] a_1 = x-y[/itex] and [itex] a_2 = y-z [/itex] then you just wrote that
[tex] |a_1 + a_2| \leq |a_1| + |a_2| [/tex]

Yes, it is the triangle inequality, but I was trying to prove that something was a metric, which required me to prove that the triangle inequality held true for that function. Am I allowed to say "the triangle inequality holds in this metric due to the triangle inequality" in this case since it reduces to the standard triangle inequality? It sounds... weird.

Yes, you can say that if you also show that it reduces to the "standard" triangle inequality (by which I assume you mean with real numbers).

Yes, real numbers. These numbers are components of a member of R^n, X, Y, and Z.

I think I did show it, basically those expressions are both in summations as part of the metric. And due the standard triangle inequality, the triangle inequality for the entire metric (with summation) holds, because for any ith term in the summation, one is surely greater due to the regular triangle inequality. So the sum is, too.

Or something like that.

Thanks all

Last edited:

What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive number, regardless of the sign of the original number.

What is the purpose of finding a simple generalization regarding absolute values?

The purpose of finding a simple generalization regarding absolute values is to make it easier to solve mathematical problems involving absolute values and to understand their properties and applications.

What is the general rule for finding the absolute value of a number?

The general rule for finding the absolute value of a number is to remove the negative sign from the number, if it has one. If the number is already positive, the absolute value remains the same.

How are absolute values used in real life?

Absolute values are used in real life in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can represent distance, speed, magnitude, and other important quantities in these fields.

Are there any exceptions to the general rules of absolute values?

No, there are no exceptions to the general rules of absolute values. The absolute value of any number will always be a positive number, and the general rule for finding it will always apply.