Looking for a specific Fourier Theory book, possibly from the 70s

In summary, a student misplaced a math book from their summer semester and is looking for it. If anyone has any information on the book or knows where it might be, they are asked to please let the student know.
Franki
Hello all,

I realize this isn't exactly the correct place to post this, but I can't start a thread in the mathematics learning forum, I'm not sure if I am supposed to be able to or not.

I realized that I threw away one of my instructors math books on Fourier Theory I was borrowing over the summer on accident (I took out the wrong box and lost a number of my books as well), and I need to find the same one.

It was a book on Fourier Series and Transform theory, from awhile ago--perhaps 70s. It was light blue and pink on the cover, kind of dated graphics, and was a paperback--and that is unfortunately all I know about it. My professor is all about pure mathematics, rather than applied, and this book very likely followed that trend.

I've combed through a few publisher sites, half.com, Google images etc hoping to run across it but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm not only missing out on the book, but I'd hate to get back to school and have to ask him about it so I could replace it then (he's off campus for the summer).

If this book rings any bells, please let me know! Thank you, and I know this is pretty lame, but I want to fix it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just ask your instructor - tell him what happened, and that you will gladly pay for a replacement copy.

I'm sure he will appreciate your honesty, and willingness to pay. And then you can spend your time studying, instead of worrying!

I wish it was that easy, but he's off campus and I can't get a hold of him over the summer... Also it was a paper back, I'll add that.

verty said:

Thanks verty, unfortunately it isn't.

The one I had was Fourier series graphs, but they weren't filled in like that. They were also brighter in tone, more warm I guess.

I know I don't have a ton to go on here, but thank you so much for the suggestion!

What is Fourier Theory?

Fourier Theory is a mathematical concept that describes the decomposition of a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components.

Why are you looking for a specific Fourier Theory book?

I am interested in learning more about Fourier Theory and I would like to find a specific book that was possibly published in the 1970s.

What makes a book on Fourier Theory from the 70s different from more recent publications?

A book on Fourier Theory from the 1970s may have different terminology, examples, and applications compared to more recent publications due to advancements in technology and changes in mathematical conventions.

Can you provide any details about the specific book you are looking for?

I am not able to provide any specific details about the book as I am not sure of the title or author. I am hoping to find a general resource on Fourier Theory from the 1970s to further my understanding of the concept.

What are some other resources available for learning about Fourier Theory?

There are many books, online articles, and video tutorials available for learning about Fourier Theory. Some popular resources include "Introduction to Fourier Analysis and Wavelets" by Mark A. Pinsky and "A First Course in Fourier Analysis" by David W. Kammler.