Looking for advice on a type of product I want to develop

In summary, the person is looking for a material or combination of materials that can withstand sun exposure, have a cooling effect, be environmentally friendly, and be sturdy enough to hold a small object. Suggestions such as a vacuum flask with an inner layer of cooling gel or liquid nitrogen, as well as using fiberglass or neoprene, are given. The person also mentions not wanting to reveal their idea fully on a public forum and will further discuss with someone knowledgeable in the field.
leighgoodman
Hi!

I have an idea for a product that i want to invent / make. I know nothing about materials / science. I came across this website and thought I would post my question.

I am looking for a material OR a combo of materials that can
  1. withstand the SUN (from the outside) - it will have a lot of exposure to the sun
  2. that has a cooling effect / can keep something cool on the inside (as much as possible)
  3. the material must be sustainable
  4. It should not be flimsy - it needs to carry something relatively small inside. It needs to be quite sturdy.
Any ideas / things I could possibly look into further?
thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
leighgoodman said:
Hi!

I have an idea for a product that i want to invent / make. I know nothing about materials / science. I came across this website and thought I would post my question.

I am looking for a material OR a combo of materials that can
  1. withstand the SUN (from the outside) - it will have a lot of exposure to the sun
  2. that has a cooling effect / can keep something cool on the inside (as much as possible)
  3. the material must be sustainable
  4. It should not be flimsy - it needs to carry something relatively small inside. It needs to be quite sturdy.
Any ideas / things I could possibly look into further?
thank you!
This is too vague to respond to with anything but wild guesses. Can you expand on what you mean by each of those, particularly #2, which sounds impossible.

russ_watters said:
This is too vague to respond to with anything but wild guesses. Can you expand on what you mean by each of those, particularly #2, which sounds impossible.
Hi there, my apologies. i will try explain a bit more.
I don't want to be fully putting forward my idea here on his forum, but i will try my best to elaborate:
1. -It is a holder - it will hold an object that is the size of a cococola can. It won't need fluid inside of it. It just holds something up.
2 - if it can keep the contents that it is holding cool - that would be a bonus.
3 - i would like to be using a material that is environmentally friendly.
4 - because it is holding an object - the material needs to be fairly solid.

Orodruin said:
Sounds like a vacuum flask ...
The vacuum flask is a good idea - but not quite what I'm looking for, But I will look into what it is made from. it might point me in the right direction.
thank you!

Is neoprene environmentally friendly enough? :smile:

https://www.discountmugs.com/product-images/detail/premium-4mm-collapsible-can-coolers-kzepu.png
premium-4mm-collapsible-can-coolers-kzepu.png

Likes leighgoodman and russ_watters
leighgoodman said:
The vacuum flask is a good idea - but not quite what I'm looking for, But I will look into what it is made from. it might point me in the right direction.
thank you!
You can make vacuum flasks from many different materials and in many different sizes and shapes. The main point (the vacuum) is not made from anything at all by definition. All you need a material that is sturdy enough to hold the vacuum without imploding and preferably some sort of interior that minimises radiation losses.

berkeman said:
Is neoprene environmentally friendly enough? :smile:

https://www.discountmugs.com/product-images/detail/premium-4mm-collapsible-can-coolers-kzepu.png
View attachment 207592
Ah, this is quite interesting. I'm going to look into a further. Thank you!

Orodruin said:
You can make vacuum flasks from many different materials and in many different sizes and shapes. The main point (the vacuum) is not made from anything at all by definition. All you need a material that is sturdy enough to hold the vacuum without imploding and preferably some sort of interior that minimises radiation losses.
Okay thank you. This is a bit over my head, but I'm going to find someone I can discuss this in more depth with. This is all very helpful thank you!

leighgoodman said:
Hi there, my apologies. i will try explain a bit more.
I don't want to be fully putting forward my idea here on his forum, but i will try my best to elaborate:
1. -It is a holder - it will hold an object that is the size of a cococola can. It won't need fluid inside of it. It just holds something up.
2 - if it can keep the contents that it is holding cool - that would be a bonus.
3 - i would like to be using a material that is environmentally friendly.
4 - because it is holding an object - the material needs to be fairly solid.

Well you need something that can hold an object of the size of a cocacola can and something that will keep the content cool..

Well for that you can use a normal insulated flask/vessel (depending on the capacity you want) and as far as cooling media is concerned you can use cooling gel around the object and the insulation will prevent the outside heat to be transferred inside the flask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gandhar NImkar said:
Well you need something that can hold an object of the size of a cocacola can and something that will keep the content cool..

Well for that you can use a normal insulated flask/vessel (depending on the capacity you want) and as far as cooling media is concerned you can use cooling gel around the object and the insulation will prevent the outside heat to be transferred inside the flask.
Thank you for this idea. I will add it onto my research. Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend a vacuum flask, but with a second inner layer that can be filled with liquid nitrogen (or a similar liquid). Another idea would be a vacuum flask a bit oversized, so that you would be able to add some ice (or maybe dry ice for lower temperatures) in it before you place the can inside.

Ice (or dry ice) absorbs a lot of energy when it starts to liquify. Liquid nitrogen absorbs a lot of energy when it starts to evaporate. Consequently, these materials can cool the can and its contents.

The vacuum is a very good insulator because the heat transfer through it is almost zero (for conduction and convection). However, you can try fiberglass or mineral wool instead of vacuum for the outer layer. You can also try to cover the flask's surface with a thin material with low emissivity coefficient (for example aluminium foil), in order to reduce the heat losses even more (less radiation).

YETI sell's a great metal cozy-check it out

check out art of SHOU-SUGI METHOD

Use a double wall container. The outer wall has a vent at the top and is open around the base. It keeps the sun off the inner container and guides an internal rising column of air that removes heat from the inside of the outer wall.

If the outer wall of the inner container is wet, evaporation will cool the inner container, driven by the thermal rising air between the containers.

Wall material can be woven dried grass or reeds etc, or papier-mache. Including strips of recycled aluminium foil in the wall will improve the thermal insulation. Make the wall from several layers of alternating materials, preferably with small air pockets. Avoid a single material for the wall because it will be a poor insulator.

1. What are the key steps in developing a new product?

The key steps in developing a new product include identifying a need or problem, conducting market research, creating a prototype, testing and refining the product, and finally, launching and promoting the product.

2. How do I determine if my product idea is viable?

To determine if your product idea is viable, you should conduct thorough market research to assess the demand for your product, identify potential competitors, and estimate the potential profitability of your product.

3. Can I develop a product without any prior experience or knowledge?

While prior experience and knowledge can be helpful, it is not necessary to develop a successful product. With dedication, research, and seeking guidance from experts, anyone can develop a successful product.

4. How do I protect my product idea from being stolen?

It is important to protect your product idea by filing for patents, trademarks, or copyrights. You can also have potential partners or investors sign non-disclosure agreements before sharing any details about your product.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when developing a new product?

Some common mistakes to avoid when developing a new product include not conducting enough market research, not testing and refining the product before launch, and not having a solid marketing and sales plan in place. It is also important to be open to feedback and make necessary adjustments to your product along the way.