Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for advice on a type of product I want to develop

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1
    Hi!

I have an idea for a product that i want to invent / make. I know nothing about materials / science. I came across this website and thought I would post my question.

I am looking for a material OR a combo of materials that can
    1. withstand the SUN (from the outside) - it will have a lot of exposure to the sun
    2. that has a cooling effect / can keep something cool on the inside (as much as possible)
    3. the material must be sustainable
    4. It should not be flimsy - it needs to carry something relatively small inside. It needs to be quite sturdy.
    Any ideas / things I could possibly look into further?
    thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 21, 2017 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is too vague to respond to with anything but wild guesses. Can you expand on what you mean by each of those, particularly #2, which sounds impossible.

5. Jul 21, 2017 #4
    Hi there, my apologies. i will try explain a bit more.
    I don't want to be fully putting forward my idea here on his forum, but i will try my best to elaborate:
    1. -It is a holder - it will hold an object that is the size of a cococola can. It won't need fluid inside of it. It just holds something up.
    2 - if it can keep the contents that it is holding cool - that would be a bonus.
    3 - i would like to be using a material that is environmentally friendly.
    4 - because it is holding an object - the material needs to be fairly solid.

6. Jul 21, 2017 #5
    The vacuum flask is a good idea - but not quite what i'm looking for, But I will look into what it is made from. it might point me in the right direction.
    thank you!

7. Jul 21, 2017 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

8. Jul 21, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can make vacuum flasks from many different materials and in many different sizes and shapes. The main point (the vacuum) is not made from anything at all by definition. All you need a material that is sturdy enough to hold the vacuum without imploding and preferably some sort of interior that minimises radiation losses.

9. Jul 22, 2017 #8
  10. Jul 22, 2017 #9
    Okay thank you. This is a bit over my head, but i'm going to find someone I can discuss this in more depth with. This is all very helpful thank you!

11. Jul 26, 2017 #10
    Well you need something that can hold an object of the size of a cocacola can and something that will keep the content cool..

Well for that you can use a normal insulated flask/vessel (depending on the capacity you want) and as far as cooling media is concerned you can use cooling gel around the object and the insulation will prevent the outside heat to be transferred inside the flask.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  12. Jul 27, 2017 #11
    Thank you for this idea. I will add it onto my research. Thank u again!!

13. Oct 31, 2017 #12

DoItForYourself

Gold Member

I would recommend a vacuum flask, but with a second inner layer that can be filled with liquid nitrogen (or a similar liquid). Another idea would be a vacuum flask a bit oversized, so that you would be able to add some ice (or maybe dry ice for lower temperatures) in it before you place the can inside.

Ice (or dry ice) absorbs a lot of energy when it starts to liquify. Liquid nitrogen absorbs a lot of energy when it starts to evaporate. Consequently, these materials can cool the can and its contents.

The vacuum is a very good insulator because the heat transfer through it is almost zero (for conduction and convection). However, you can try fiberglass or mineral wool instead of vacuum for the outer layer. You can also try to cover the flask's surface with a thin material with low emissivity coefficient (for example aluminium foil), in order to reduce the heat losses even more (less radiation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted