Looking for an interesting Mathematical problem family

In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for an interesting mathematical problem that could be used for a puzzle game. The desired problem should be randomly generated and not directly related to math, but still solvable without using mathematical equations. It should also be possible to predict if the generated problem can be solved. Ideas such as the game "Conway's Game of Life" and the game of "Nim" were suggested as potential inspirations. The conversation concluded with the goal of creating a self-project for fun, with credit given to any sources of inspiration.
spyrustheviru
Looking for an interesting Mathematical problem "family"

And what do I mean by that. All right, I think this was the most fitting category, I hope I'm not too off-topic.

So I want to write a puzzle game, but, as everyone who loses his time playing puzzle flash games (like me), knows that you cannot be original enough. What I'm looking for:
1. A mathematical problem that can be randomly generated. So that's why I want a "problem family".
2. It should not be directly related to math-I do not want equations, formulas, etc. I want something that can be given to someone with graphics- a table, a grid, anything you fancy.
3. Must be solvable without using math. They can, and since they are behind the whole thing, will help getting to the solution, but the "trial and error" or "think very hard about it" ways MUST be possible.
4. I must be able to predict if the generated problem can be solved. A simple way of doing that, something that can be transferred to a program easily, is preffered, but not a must.
5. Things that have been going around for decades, things from scientific papers, models, anything, suit me. Not being popular, or already used for the same purpose is also preffered.

I remember playing a game based on a "problem". There was a grid with boxes, and each colored box was supposed to be a person. Based on certain condition, after each "round", persons either held "offsprings" (new persons next to them), did nothing (...just stayed there), or "died" (dissapear). The game gave you a challenge, for example, have 20 at least persons after so many rounds, and you were allowed to place some (limited) boxes on your own, were you saw fit. After some point it got harder and harder (I can't remember beating it, lol). I read it was based on some experiment, paper, or something like that, but saddly I can't remember what it was exactly. BTW, if anyone knows what the theory behind it is , let me know, I've been looking for that game :D
I think those are good for now.
This is going to be a self project, made for fun. If the idea comes from a paper, I will give credit, if it comes from a member here, I will give credit. The goal is not to make a sellable product, just have some programming fun.

Come on people, show me what you got! :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org

That game you're talking about sounds almost like Conway's Game of Life (wiki "[URL ),[/URL] but Conway's game doesn't involve placing limited amounts of boxes yourself, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Char. Limit said:
That game you're talking about sounds almost like Conway's Game of Life (wiki "[URL ),[/URL] but Conway's game doesn't involve placing limited amounts of boxes yourself, I believe.

yes that's it!
The game I mentioned was based on Conway's, adding the challenge of puting your own boxed, in order to fulfill the target. After all that's the point of any game, reach a certain goal with personal effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCKurtz said:
If you want a two person game, what about Nim?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim

sounds like a good idea. Although, i'd prefer something that leans more to a single player gameplay. This does stay on the idea pool, implementing a computer player will be fun:)

What is meant by "Mathematical problem family"?

A mathematical problem family refers to a group of related problems that have a common underlying structure or concept. For example, a problem family could involve finding the maximum value of a function, with each specific problem having a different function to maximize.

Why is it important to look for interesting mathematical problem families?

Exploring different mathematical problem families can help develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking. It can also lead to the discovery of new mathematical concepts and techniques.

How can I find interesting mathematical problem families to work on?

One way to find interesting mathematical problem families is to read books and articles on mathematics, attend conferences and workshops, and collaborate with other mathematicians. You can also browse through mathematical journals, online forums, and problem-solving websites for inspiration.

What are some examples of interesting mathematical problem families?

Some examples of interesting mathematical problem families include optimization problems, graph theory problems, number theory problems, and geometry problems. Other examples include problems involving combinatorics, probability, and game theory.

How can I approach solving a mathematical problem from a problem family?

When approaching a mathematical problem from a problem family, it is important to first understand the underlying structure or concept of the problem family. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use various problem-solving techniques to solve each part. Finally, combine the solutions to solve the overall problem.