Looking for books on computational QED

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a resource similar to one for QCD but for QED. It is mentioned that perturbative methods can effectively describe all measurable effects in QED, making such a resource unnecessary. There is also a question about using these methods for many body problems, to which the response is that while they can be used theoretically, they are not very efficient in practice. Overall, it is concluded that these methods are neither efficient nor necessary for QED.
jonjacson
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
I am looking for something similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319533355/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But this is for QCD, I want the same for QED.
In QED, it seems that all measurable effects can be well described by the good old perturbative methods, meaning that there is no practical need for something like that. But I could be wrong.

Likes jonjacson
Demystifier said:
In QED, it seems that all measurable effects can be well described by the good old perturbative methods, meaning that there is no practical need for something like that. But I could be wrong.

And do you know if those methods can be used for many body problems?

Thanks for your reply.

jonjacson said:
And do you know if those methods can be used for many body problems?
If you mean for strongly-correlated systems such as high-Tc superconductivity, I would say that they can be used in principle, but that in practice they are not very efficient.

Demystifier said:
If you mean for strongly-correlated systems such as high-Tc superconductivity, I would say that they can be used in principle, but that in practice they are not very efficient.

Ok, so basically they are neither efficient nor necessary.

1. What is computational QED?

Computational QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a branch of physics that uses computational methods to study the interactions between matter and light at the quantum level. It combines principles of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions with photons.

2. Why is computational QED important?

Computational QED allows scientists to model and simulate complex quantum systems that are difficult to study experimentally. It has played a crucial role in understanding the properties of atoms, molecules, and materials, and has applications in fields such as quantum computing, materials science, and particle physics.

3. What are some common computational methods used in QED research?

Some common computational methods used in QED research include Monte Carlo simulations, perturbation theory, and variational methods. These methods allow scientists to calculate the properties and behavior of quantum systems and compare them with experimental observations.

4. Are there any recommended books on computational QED?

Yes, there are several recommended books on computational QED, including "Computational Methods in Quantum Field Theory" by Jan Smit and "Computational Many-Particle Physics" by Helmut Hofmann. These books cover the fundamentals of computational QED and provide practical examples and applications.

5. How can I get started with computational QED?

To get started with computational QED, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. Familiarizing yourself with programming languages and software commonly used in QED research, such as MATLAB and Python, can also be helpful. Additionally, reading textbooks and research papers on the subject can provide valuable insights and techniques for conducting computational QED research.