1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for infos on UW Milwaukee

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the the physics department at UW Milwaukee? I know it isn't as highly ranked as Madison, but I think they are known for gravitational physics... is this right? I'm looking to go into gravitational physics (probably will pursue gravitational wave physics especially) and am trying to find out which schools are best, BESIDES the Ivies & Penn State.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    Hello quasar_4,

I work at UWM, so I may not be the most neutral voice about UWM. But the Center for Gravitation and Cosmology within the UWM Department of Physics has several outstanding faculty including the remarkable Leonard Parker:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=648960

You might consider contacting a few former students at the program for their opinions. Search them out here:

http://www.gravity.phys.uwm.edu/people/

--Chapman

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    I went to UW Milwaukee! However not for Physics :frown: Best thing you can do is go visit and take a tour if it's not too much of a trip. Go Panthers!

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

sgc

Hi.

I also work here at UWM, so I am not neutral either, but if you are interested in gravitational waves, IMHO UWM is one of the best options. They are a very strong group inside the LIGO collaboration. As the others told you, if you can the best thing is come to visit.

Good luck.

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    I did my undergrad and a couple years of PhD (advisor left so I followed) at UWM. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I still have a lot of friends there so I have all the inside info on the Deptarment (joking... kinda).

Things Milwaukee is strong in:

Gravitational Wave Astronomy/Computation (they have a huge (multi-million dollar) NSF grant to do all the LIGO Computational work).
    Relativistic Astrophysics and Cosmology John Friedman and Leonard Parker are very distinguished in these fields respectively.
    Theoretical Superconductivity Dan Agterberg is an excellent researcher and teacher. I shared an office with some of his students- they all thought very much of him.
    Experimental Surface Science I have a few friends who will be receiving their PhDs this year in this field from Milwaukee. I don't know much more than what they tell me.

Overall I really loved that department. It was very social and friendly. The grad students all hung out together. The professors interacted socially with the grad students. There is a lot of undergrad research being done there.

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6
    UWM gets $1.6 million gift for new sciences complex
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/124781403.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?