Looking for infos on UW Milwaukee

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
In summary: The gift will also help support the Department of Physics' research in theoretical and experimental superconductivity, surface science, and gravitational wave astronomy.
quasar_4
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the the physics department at UW Milwaukee? I know it isn't as highly ranked as Madison, but I think they are known for gravitational physics... is this right? I'm looking to go into gravitational physics (probably will pursue gravitational wave physics especially) and am trying to find out which schools are best, BESIDES the Ivies & Penn State.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello quasar_4,

I work at UWM, so I may not be the most neutral voice about UWM. But the Center for Gravitation and Cosmology within the UWM Department of Physics has several outstanding faculty including the remarkable Leonard Parker:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=648960

You might consider contacting a few former students at the program for their opinions. Search them out here:

http://www.gravity.phys.uwm.edu/people/

--Chapman

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to UW Milwaukee! However not for Physics :frown: Best thing you can do is go visit and take a tour if it's not too much of a trip. Go Panthers!

Hi.

I also work here at UWM, so I am not neutral either, but if you are interested in gravitational waves, IMHO UWM is one of the best options. They are a very strong group inside the LIGO collaboration. As the others told you, if you can the best thing is come to visit.

Good luck.

I did my undergrad and a couple years of PhD (advisor left so I followed) at UWM. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I still have a lot of friends there so I have all the inside info on the Deptarment (joking... kinda).

Things Milwaukee is strong in:

Gravitational Wave Astronomy/Computation (they have a huge (multi-million dollar) NSF grant to do all the LIGO Computational work).
Relativistic Astrophysics and Cosmology John Friedman and Leonard Parker are very distinguished in these fields respectively.
Theoretical Superconductivity Dan Agterberg is an excellent researcher and teacher. I shared an office with some of his students- they all thought very much of him.
Experimental Surface Science I have a few friends who will be receiving their PhDs this year in this field from Milwaukee. I don't know much more than what they tell me.

Overall I really loved that department. It was very social and friendly. The grad students all hung out together. The professors interacted socially with the grad students. There is a lot of undergrad research being done there.

UWM gets $1.6 million gift for new sciences complex
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/124781403.html

The new complex will house UWM's Center for Gravitation and Cosmology, which is to be named in honor of UWM distinguished professor emeritus of physics Leonard Parker.

1. Who can I contact for more information about UW Milwaukee?

If you are looking for general information about UW Milwaukee, you can contact the university's admissions department. If you have specific questions about a particular program or department, you can reach out to the respective faculty or staff members.

2. What programs does UW Milwaukee offer?

UW Milwaukee offers over 190 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs across various fields such as business, education, engineering, health sciences, and liberal arts. You can visit the university's website for a complete list of programs.

3. What is the tuition cost at UW Milwaukee?

Tuition costs at UW Milwaukee vary depending on your residency status, level of study, and the program you are enrolled in. You can find detailed information about tuition and fees on the university's website or by contacting the admissions department.

4. How do I apply to UW Milwaukee?

To apply to UW Milwaukee, you will need to complete an online application and submit all required materials, including transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation. The admissions process and requirements may vary depending on your level of study and program, so it is best to visit the university's website for specific instructions.

5. What is the campus like at UW Milwaukee?

UW Milwaukee's campus is located in a vibrant urban setting and spans over 104 acres. The campus features modern academic buildings, residence halls, recreational facilities, and green spaces. The university also offers a variety of on-campus events and activities for students to get involved in.