1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for job in Spring. senior BS in physics

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I will be applying for re-entry to my university to complete my Physics BS in the Fall (expected graduation in Fall 2014). I have 2 summers research (in EE), 3 years machining experience and 2 physics labs classes. Has anyone been in a similar predicament? I plan to apply to as many tech companies and labs in my area (silicon valley). Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you will be returning to school in the fall, you should consider working as a temp until then. Find a temp agency that specializes in science/engineering placements. Often temp assignments are a good way to get your foot in the door.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3
    My advise is to go to graduate school for something more marketable. I suspect you will have a very tough time getting a career style job with what you have posted.

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4
    That's too far ahead for me, although I want to go to grad school for physics. A temp agency sounds good, thanks.

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Are you looking for a summer physics/engineering internship? If so PM me a link to your resume, linkedin or whatever.

7. Dec 13, 2013 #6
    You should focus on looking for jobs that can use your 3 years machining experience.

My current job is completely unrelated to my majors, but it pays the bills.

8. Dec 21, 2013 #7
    Would it be better for me to look for internships since I plan to return to school in Fall? I'd look at SLAC and SRI, but are there internships that do not require a transcript or letters of recommendation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook