Looking for job in Spring. senior BS in physics

In summary, the individual is planning to return to university in the fall to complete their Physics BS degree and is seeking advice on finding employment in the tech industry. They have previous experience in EE research and machining, as well as taking physics labs classes. Suggestions were made to consider temp work as a way to gain experience and to possibly pursue graduate school for a more marketable degree. The individual also mentions their current job, which is unrelated to their majors. They are wondering if it would be better to look for internships before returning to school, and if there are any that do not require transcripts or letters of recommendation.
z_patzer
Hello,
I will be applying for re-entry to my university to complete my Physics BS in the Fall (expected graduation in Fall 2014). I have 2 summers research (in EE), 3 years machining experience and 2 physics labs classes. Has anyone been in a similar predicament? I plan to apply to as many tech companies and labs in my area (silicon valley). Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you will be returning to school in the fall, you should consider working as a temp until then. Find a temp agency that specializes in science/engineering placements. Often temp assignments are a good way to get your foot in the door.

My advise is to go to graduate school for something more marketable. I suspect you will have a very tough time getting a career style job with what you have posted.

That's too far ahead for me, although I want to go to grad school for physics. A temp agency sounds good, thanks.

Are you looking for a summer physics/engineering internship? If so PM me a link to your resume, linkedin or whatever.

Likes 1 person
You should focus on looking for jobs that can use your 3 years machining experience.

My current job is completely unrelated to my majors, but it pays the bills.

Would it be better for me to look for internships since I plan to return to school in Fall? I'd look at SLAC and SRI, but are there internships that do not require a transcript or letters of recommendation?

1. What job opportunities are available for someone with a senior BS in physics in the spring?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for someone with a senior BS in physics in the spring. Some popular options include working as a research scientist, data analyst, or engineer in industries such as technology, aerospace, or energy. You may also consider pursuing a career in education or working for a government agency.

2. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a job search for a physics-related position in the spring?

In addition to a strong background in physics, employers may also look for skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, data analysis, and communication. It is also beneficial to have experience with relevant software and programming languages, as well as any hands-on experience through internships or research projects.

3. How can I stand out in a competitive job market as a senior BS in physics?

To stand out in a competitive job market, it is important to showcase your unique skills and experiences. This can include highlighting any relevant research projects, internships, or extracurricular activities. It is also helpful to tailor your resume and cover letter to each job application, showcasing how your skills align with the specific job requirements.

4. What resources are available for job seekers with a senior BS in physics in the spring?

There are many resources available for job seekers with a senior BS in physics. Some options include job search websites, networking events, career fairs, and professional organizations. Your university's career center may also have resources and services specifically for recent graduates.

5. Are there any specific industries that are hiring physics-related positions in the spring?

There are many industries that are hiring physics-related positions in the spring, including technology, aerospace, energy, healthcare, and government agencies. It is important to research and target industries that align with your interests and skills to increase your chances of finding a job in the spring.