Job prospects for a Physics BS

In summary, the conversation discusses the subject requirements for a BS in Applied Physics in Europe, as well as the potential career prospects for someone studying outside of academia. The speaker also mentions their own experience and suggests choosing a more specific degree if the traditional career options do not appeal. They also mention their own choice of health physics and its successful job prospects.
Lorena
Hello everybody i need some advices to choos my BS
I live in Europe and our Applied Physics BS have these subject (all mandatory)

I YEAR

Real analysis - Mech
Linear algebra - Mech Lab
C programming - Chemistry

II YEAR

Vector analysis - ElMag
Termod & Lab - Circuit lab
Comput Phys in C - Complex & Functional Analysis
Relativ Mech

III YEAR

Stat mech - Electronics & Signal
Quantum mech - Solid state physics
Genetics & Biol - Particle physics
Optics & Op lab - Medical physics*

*or Electronics 2 or Atmosph phys

As "electives" i choosed
Machine Learning & AI
OOP in Java 9 (exams with real projects)

Will this curriculum be interesting for someone outside academia?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for every error but I'm posting from my mobile and sometimes the keyboard hide the text window :wink:

"Europe" covers a broad swath. You're more likely to get useful answers if you specify what country you are studying in and what countries you would consider working in.

I was majoring in physics. I was told with a physics degree you can qualify for many different jobs in many different fields. Sure if you apply for some science type job you may qualify for it to apply but in applying you are going up against other applicants who actually specialized in that field. Which means sure you qualify but your chances of actually getting the job are basically nil.

If you're majoring in physics it's either because you plan to get a PhD in order to do research, or you plan to get a master's in another field, or you plan to teach physics. That's really your only options. If those don't appeal to you, in my opinion, picking a more specific degree would be better.

I went with health physics. Still the physics stuff I loved but applied to something with actual career prospects. Graduated and had a job in two months.

Likes symbolipoint

1. What types of jobs are available for someone with a Physics BS?

There are a variety of job opportunities for those with a Physics BS, including research positions in academia, industry, or government, as well as teaching, engineering, data analysis, and consulting roles.

2. How much can I expect to earn with a Physics BS?

The salary for someone with a Physics BS can vary greatly depending on the job and location, but the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in 2020 was $122,220 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary for career advancement in physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more opportunities for career advancement in physics, it is not always necessary. Many entry-level positions in industries like engineering or data analysis only require a bachelor's degree. However, a master's or doctoral degree may be required for research or teaching positions in academia.

4. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can make me more competitive in the job market with a Physics BS?

Having experience with programming languages, data analysis, and research methods can make you more competitive in the job market with a Physics BS. Additionally, internships or research opportunities during your undergraduate studies can provide valuable experience and make you stand out to potential employers.

5. Are there any industries or fields that are particularly in need of individuals with a Physics BS?

The demand for individuals with a Physics BS is high in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and technology. Additionally, with the increasing use of data in various industries, there is a growing need for individuals with a physics background to help with data analysis and modeling.