Looking for latest info on a few topics

  • Thread starter sero
  • Start date
9
0
Hi
I found these forums by accident but I'm happy I did because I'm always ready to talk physics.I am not a phyiscs major or in that field, I did take it in highschool and have read some books on relativity and some Hawkins books. I'm looking for the latest information on a few topics..

1. Singularities - whats the latest on these and where can i find some good info that can give me a solid backround on these and specifically how they tie into traveling long distances in space ?

2. what kind of math is involved with understanding how singularities and black holes function and how what they are made of ?

3. Has there been any work done with achieving or passing the speed of light recently ? A colleage of mine just told me this had been done.

I know these are very general but physics is my passion and I cant find any good material on these topics. I figured users here could save me countless hours of time looking.

thanks

S
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by sero
3. Has there been any work done with achieving or passing the speed of light recently ? A colleage of mine just told me this had been done.
what has been done? achieving or passing?
 

turin

Homework Helper
2,323
3
Originally posted by sero
2. what kind of math is involved with understanding how singularities and black holes function and how what they are made of ?
diff. geom. (tensors with diff. eqs.), from what I have seen.
 
837
1
Originally posted by sero
1. Singularities - whats the latest on these and where can i find some good info that can give me a solid backround on these and specifically how they tie into traveling long distances in space ?
Singularities probably can't be used to travel long distances in space. Are you thinking of wormholes?

I don't know of any good review articles on singularity research, so you'll probably have to be more specific.

2. what kind of math is involved with understanding how singularities and black holes function and how what they are made of ?
Differential geometry and topology.


3. Has there been any work done with achieving or passing the speed of light recently ? A colleage of mine just told me this had been done.
There are lots of experiments that claim, in some form or another, to demonstrate "faster than light" phenomena. But none of these actually violate relativity; it all boils down to what you mean by "faster than light"
 

Related Threads for: Looking for latest info on a few topics

Replies
2
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
5
Views
3K
Replies
8
Views
1K
Replies
29
Views
5K
Replies
3
Views
874

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top