Looking further and further into the past?

• Thread starter pwdrmntainski
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of looking into the past through the use of telescopes. It is mentioned that as telescopes become more advanced, they allow us to see even further into the past. However, there is confusion about whether telescopes are still observing the photons in the present or if they are seeing further away due to their increased power. It is then clarified that the age of the photons and the distance they have traveled determine how far into the past we are looking. The conversation ends with the individual seeking further insight and guidance on the topic.
pwdrmntainski
I understand how looking at the night sky is, essentially, peering into the past, as the photons that hit your eye have been traveling for years and years. I read that telescopes, as they progressively strengthen, give us the ability to look even further into the past. This is what confuses me.

Telescopes can see further, but aren't they still observing the photons that are hitting the lens at the current moment?

Hold up! I may have answered my question while thinking about it. The age of the photons (and how far into the past you're looking) is dependent upon the distance they've traveled. The further the object that the photon originated from, the longer the photon must travel to reach us and the "older" it is.

So the telescopes are still observing the photons that are hitting their lenses, it's just as they get more powerful, the objects they are viewing get further away, resulting in our ability to look even further into the past?

I apologize that this thread is essentially my train of thought regarding the issue. I would really appreciate any insight and guidance towards the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello Powder Mtn,
welcome. You seem to have answered your question. So think of a new question or something you want to learn about.

Except that large telescopes use mirrors rather than lenses, spot on.

What is the significance of looking further and further into the past?

Studying the past allows us to understand the origins and development of our universe, Earth, and life on our planet. It also helps us make predictions about the future and learn from past events.

How far back can we look into the past?

Through various scientific methods, we can look back billions of years into the past. For example, the cosmic microwave background radiation allows us to see the universe as it was 13.8 billion years ago.

What techniques do scientists use to look into the past?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as radiometric dating, fossil analysis, and geological records to study the past. They also use telescopes and satellites to observe distant objects in space.

What can we learn from looking into the past?

By studying the past, we can gain insights into the formation of our planet, the evolution of life, and the changes in the Earth's climate. We can also learn about the history of human civilizations and how they have impacted the environment.

Why is it important to continue to look further into the past?

Continued research and exploration of the past can lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the world. It also allows us to continue to refine our theories and models, leading to a more accurate understanding of our past and present.