Looking to fly. need speed. Have other dimensions

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in determining the necessary speed for a box with wings to lift and fly. They provide the measurements of the box and wings and mention a theoretical thought experiment. They also mention that 300 km/h may be enough for it to fly. They then go into a more detailed calculation, providing the equation and variables needed to solve for velocity.
mike232
Hey everyone,
I have a theoretical problem. I have a box. Rounded off but not greatly aerodynamic. It is 800 kg including propulsion. I have wings with a max of 2.25m long and a max width of about 2m wide. This is the length of the box. I need to know how fast the box needs to go with those detentions to lift and fly. This is a simple thought experiment. I would love any help on the idea. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just 'at eye', 300 km/h may be enough...

Calculating it more properly is not too difficult. Assuming that only the wings provide the lift, and just for compensating the wight, you can solve for velocity the equation:

Lift = 800 * 9,8 = 0,5 * v2* S + Cl * rho

Where Cl is the coefficient of lift, that depends of the angle of attack and the wing section, but for a first approximation you can take Cl = 1,5. S is the surface of the wings and rho the air density. As the lift is in Newtons, if you use S in square meters, and rho in kg/m3, you will get v in m/s.

Happy flights...

1. What do you mean by "other dimensions" in relation to flying?

When referring to "other dimensions" in the context of flying, it typically means exploring the possibility of alternate planes of existence or realities beyond the three dimensions we experience in our daily lives.

2. Is it possible to travel to other dimensions while flying?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows for traveling to other dimensions while flying. However, some theories in quantum physics suggest the existence of higher dimensions that could potentially be accessed through advanced technology in the future.

3. How does speed affect flying in different dimensions?

The concept of speed is relative and can vary depending on the dimension. In some theoretical models, higher dimensions may allow for faster speeds and more efficient forms of travel. However, this is still largely speculative and has not been proven.

4. Are there any real-life examples of flying in other dimensions?

As of now, there are no confirmed instances of humans flying in other dimensions. However, there have been reports of individuals experiencing altered states of consciousness or hallucinations that may resemble flying in other dimensions.

5. Is there any scientific research or studies being conducted on flying in other dimensions?

While there are some theories and hypotheses in physics and cosmology that discuss the possibility of other dimensions, there is currently no substantial scientific research or studies specifically focused on flying in other dimensions. This is largely due to the lack of evidence and technology to support such claims.