1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking to Prepare for Metric Differential Geometry

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    This is the course description:

I want to take this class because the professor comes highly recommended, but I'm a little worried that I won't be entirely prepared for it. Normally this class requires Real Analysis as a prerequisite, and even though the professor explicitly states that Analysis isn't required, I fear that not having that background/mathematical maturity will hold me back.

I have taken three semesters of calculus and a course on differential equations and linear algebra. These are all of the prerequisites... but if I were to prepare for this course, where would be a good place to start?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2
    I took a class like that. The only thing we used from real analysis was the implicit function theorem, so it's good to have seen that. But actually, the class itself is where I got a lot more intuition about the implicit function theorem because one of the most natural contexts where it comes up is to prove that some level surfaces of a function on R^3 are "regular surfaces". So, if you're a good student, I think you could handle it already if you really know your stuff from calc 3 and linear algebra.

It wouldn't hurt to look into real analysis, but as far as the implicit function theorem goes, I think the geometry class would be more helpful for understanding it than the other way around, if it's anything like my experience. There are a lot of real analysis books. Not sure what your style is. My favorite is A Radical Approach to Real Analysis for its historical motivation (take the history with a grain of salt, though), but I haven't read that many intro to real analysis books. From what I've heard, I would probably like Understanding Analysis by Abbott.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    The obvious answer is to ask the professor teaching the course. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook