How High Must a Cart Be Released to Safely Complete a Loop-the-Loop?

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: For part c, v2 = 2ada = v2 / 2d = 78.48 / 2 * 9.81 = |a| = _________4___________ m/s2, again this is wrong.
Naeem
Loop-the-Loop

The two problems below are related to a cart of mass M = 500 kg going around a circular loop-the-loop of radius R = 10 m, as shown in the figures. All surfaces are frictionless. In order for the cart to negotiate the loop safely, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least equal to 0.8 times the weight of the cart. You may neglect the size of the cart. (Note: This is different from the conditions needed to "just negotiate" the loop.)
Fn = Mv2 /R = 0.8 Mg
v2 = 0.8 R g = 0.8 * 10 * 9.81 = 78.48 m2 / s2

a) For this part, the cart slides down a frictionless track before encountering the loop. What is the minimum height h above the top of the loop that the cart can be released from rest in order that it safely negotiate the loop?
Mgh = 1/2 Mv2
h = v2 / 2g = 78.48 / 2 * 9.81
h = _________4___________ m

b) For this part, we launch the cart horizontally along a surface at the same height as the bottom of the loop by releasing it from rest from a compressed spring with spring constant k = 10000 N/m. What is the minimum amount X that the spring must be compressed in order that the cart "safely" (as defined above) negotiate the loop?

Mgh = 500 * 9.81 * 4 = 1620 Nm
1/2 kX2 = 1620 Nm
X2 = 2 * 1620 / 10,000 = 0.324
X = ________0.569____________ m

c) When the car is descending vertically (ie at a height R above the ground) in the loop, what is its speed |v|?
Mv2 /R = 0.8 Mg
1/2 mv2 = mg (h + R)
v2 = 2 * 9.81 * (4 + 10) = 294.7
|v| = ______8.86______16.57________ m/s

d) At the bottom of the loop, on the flat part of the track, the cart must be stopped in a distance of d = 10 m. What retarding acceleration |a| is required?
v2 = 2ad
a = v2 / 2d = 78.48 / 2 * 9.81 =
|a| = _________4___________ m/s2

I don't know this is what I have done, but the answers seem wrong. Can anybody help here.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the top of the loop, gravity is acting on the cart in addition to the normal force. Your equations don't seem to include that. You seem to be confusing [tex]v[/tex] and [tex]v^2[/tex] and forgetting that the mass will be going faster at the top of the loop than at the bottom in some of the parts.

Naeem said:
In order for the cart to negotiate the loop safely, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least equal to 0.8 times the weight of the cart. You may neglect the size of the cart. (Note: This is different from the conditions needed to "just negotiate" the loop.)
Fn = Mv2 /R = 0.8 Mg
The normal force is not the only force contributing to the centripetal acceleration. Don't forget gravity.

So, how do we add gravity here, then, how can we modify the equation, would it be something like this:

Fn = Mv2 /R +mg = 0.8 Mg

Naeem said:
So, how do we add gravity here, then, how can we modify the equation, would it be something like this:

Fn = Mv2 /R +mg = 0.8 Mg
At the top of the loop, the vertical forces are:
normal force, Fn = 0.8 mg acting down
weight = mg acting down​

Thus the net force creating the centripetal acceleration (at the top of the loop) is:
[tex]F_n + mg = mv^2/r[/tex]

Got part a, but how do I figure out part b and d.

For part a , I got h = 9 which is correct.

For part b,

Mgh = 500 * 9.81 * 9 = 44145 Nm
1/2 kX2 = 44145 Nm
X2 = 2 * 44145 / 10,000 = 8.829
X = ________2.971____________ m , which is wrong.

The answer to c is 19.3 which is correct.

For part d,

v2 = 2ad
|a| = _________4___________ m/s2, again this is wrong.

Plz help

Naeem said:
For part b,

Mgh = 500 * 9.81 * 9 = 44145 Nm
1/2 kX2 = 44145 Nm
X2 = 2 * 44145 / 10,000 = 8.829
X = ________2.971____________ m , which is wrong.
The height h = 9 is the height above the top of the loop that the car must be released from. To find the total energy you must include the height of the loop--an additional height of 2R = 20m.
For part d,

v2 = 2ad
|a| = _________4___________ m/s2, again this is wrong.
For some reason, you are still using [itex]v^2 = 78.48 m^2/s^2[/itex], which was your incorrect answer for the top of the loop. Find the speed at the bottom of the loop, using the correct total energy. (See above.)

I forgot how to do part d , I know the acc. is 28.44 m/s2, can anybody explain>>>>

Naeem said:
I forgot how to do part d , I know the acc. is 28.44 m/s2, can anybody explain>>>>
Use the same method you used earlier, only this time use the correct velocity at the bottom of the loop. (Hint: find the kinetic energy at the bottom.)

Can anybody help me with part d.

I did:

From Fn + Mg = Mv^2/R

( Fn in my case is 0.5mg)

so,
0.5mg +mg = mv^2/R

Cancelling the m's through out

v^2 = 1.5 *9.81 / 8 = 117.72 ( Note: R is 8 in my case )

Then,
a = v^2 / 2d ( d = 15m in my case )

therefore, a = 117.72 / 2*15

= 3.924 + 2* 9.81
= 23.544 m/s^2 , which is wrong, Am I missing something,,,,

Naeem said:
Can anybody help me with part d.

I did:

From Fn + Mg = Mv^2/R

( Fn in my case is 0.5mg)
What makes you think that Fn = 0.5mg? Also, at the bottom of the loop Fn acts up while gravity acts down.

The way to solve this is to figure out the KE at the top of the loop from the information given in the problem (Fn = .8mg at the top of the loop.). Then you can find the KE at the bottom of the loop by conservation of energy.

1. What is "Loop-the-Loop with Spring"?

Loop-the-Loop with Spring is a physics experiment in which a metal spring is used to create a loop and a small object is launched through the loop. This experiment demonstrates concepts of energy, forces, and motion.

2. How does the spring create the loop?

The spring is attached to a base at one end and is stretched out to create a circular shape. This circular shape forms the loop that the object will travel through.

3. What type of energy is involved in this experiment?

There are two types of energy involved in this experiment: potential energy and kinetic energy. The energy stored in the spring when it is stretched out is potential energy, and this energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object travels through the loop.

4. What factors affect the success of the loop-the-loop with spring experiment?

The success of the experiment depends on several factors, including the size and shape of the loop, the mass of the object, the amount of stretch in the spring, and the initial speed and trajectory of the object.

5. What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment teaches us about the principles of energy conversion, centripetal force, and circular motion. It also allows us to explore how different factors can affect the outcome of an experiment and how to make predictions based on scientific principles.