1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz attractors and fractals

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    as far as I know a "fractal", by definition should manifest self-similarity or at least statistical self-similarity. This usually takes the form of scale invariance.
    Can anyone point out where is the self-similarity in the plots of Lorentz attractors?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Viswanath, D. (2004) The fractal property of the Lorenz attractor. Physica D, 190: 115–128.

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~divakar/papers/Viswanath2004.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    ...I still have troubles understanding where is the self-similarity, especially the scale-invariance.
    I understand that "zooming" into one point will reveal more and more orbits (infinitely many). Still I don´t see how that is similar to the whole.

Referring to the article you mentioned: where is the resemblance of the plots in figure 2 (a part) with the plot in figure 1 (the whole) ?

Any hint?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

You zoom in, you see a pile of sticks. But if you zoom in on each of those piles of sticks, they're piles of sticks... but each of those piles of sticks are piles of sticks.

You can't see the whole orbit at once because the semimajor axis (approximating it as an oval) is huge compared to the thickness of the "sticks", so we're forced to look at little sections of the orbits, that cuts off at each end, making it look like... well, a pile of sticks.

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    Thanks.
    Now it is clear.

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I meant that you zoom in on a stick and it's really a bunch of sticks, them you zoom in one of those sticks and it's really a bunch, etc. But hopefully you saw past my redundancy.

8. Jul 15, 2010 #7
    Yes. don´t worry. It was pretty clear to me that you meant to zoom in on one "stick". The explanation was clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook