Lorentz Force Law to determine the magnitude and direction of an electric field

In summary, an electron enters a region with a magnetic field and is deflected when it reaches a metal plate. However, when two metal plates are placed next to each other, an electric field is applied which deflects the electron beam. The electric field is such that the electron beam keeps going in the original direction. My question is how to determine the direction of the electric field.
c_m

Homework Statement

Ok here it goes...

A stream of electrons, each with speed u = 5.9 x 10^6 m s^-1 and traveling along the x-axis in the positive x-direction enters a region pervaded by a uniform magnitic field B. The electrons the describe a circle with raidus R in the horizontal xy-plane, circulating anticlockwise as viewed from above.

With varius questions i have calculated the...
1)the direction of B is in the -Z direction
2)Magnitude of B = 1.7 x 10^-3 T

Now for the part i have become brain dead on...

Two large, parallel, metal plates 0.20m apart and placed symetrically on either side of the incoming electron beam, are now used to apply a uniform electric field in the region where the electrons were circulating.

This electric field is such that the electron beam is no longer deflected but continues straight on in the original positive x-direction.

My question is:
1)Starting from the Lorentz force Law and using Newtons first law, How do i determine the direction of the electric field (E)?

Homework Equations

Lorentz Force Law in a uniform field
F = q[E + u x B

B=magnetic field
q=charge on electron
u=speed of electron
E = electric field

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i assume that i need to find the magnitude of the electric field, so when i rearranged Lorentz Law this is what i ended up with:

qE = B x q x u

But when i input my values going by the units which are:
T x C x m s^-1 this gives me Newtons
where i know the units of electric charge should be N C^-1

So obviously i have gone very wrong somewhere probably with my magnitude expression??

Please help, if you need any more details, let me know and i will try and supply them.

Cheers in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

qE = B x q x u, here lies your problem. You're trying to determine the magnitude of the electric field, right? You should correct it a bit.

Thankyou for replying,

yea that's what I am trying to, any chance you could give me a little push in the right direction as to where i have gone wrong? because i figured that where i made a mistake but i can't see how to correct it?

I suggest you try to solve [tex]F=q(E+ (\vec {v} \times \vec {B}))[/tex] for [tex]E[/tex] again. That's where your problem is.

Last edited:
ok, i have given it one last attempt before my brain gives up, i now have,

E = qu x B / q x F

am i right? or closer to been right?

c_m said:
ok, i have given it one last attempt before my brain gives up, i now have,

E = qu x B / q x F

am i right? or closer to been right?

That's correct! But what can you say about the force? Note that the electrons are going straight at a constant speed.

Wow! i suprised myself there!

wouldnt the force be perpendicular to u and b?

c_m said:
wouldnt the force be perpendicular to u and b?

Yes it would, but what about it's magnitude? You'll need it to determine E.

Well isn't the magnitude of F, F=ma?

...wish my brain would wake up!

c_m said:
Well isn't the magnitude of F, F=ma?

Yep, and since the electron has a constant speed, isn't the magnitude 0? And with a fresh set of eyes I spy a little mistake in your equation. It should be [tex]E=F- \frac{qvB}{q}[/tex]. Now you should be able to solve the magnitude od electric field from the equation and use the information given in the problem to determine the direction.

Iv got it now! thankyou very much you were a great help!

What is the Lorentz Force Law?

The Lorentz Force Law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the force experienced by a charged particle moving in an electric and magnetic field. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

How is the magnitude of the electric field determined using the Lorentz Force Law?

The magnitude of the electric field can be determined by rearranging the Lorentz Force Law equation to solve for E. This gives us E = (F - qv x B)/q. By measuring the force on the charged particle and knowing its charge, velocity, and the magnetic field, we can calculate the magnitude of the electric field.

What is the direction of the electric field determined using the Lorentz Force Law?

The direction of the electric field is given by the direction of the force experienced by the charged particle. If the force is in the same direction as the electric field, the field is in the same direction as the velocity of the charged particle. If the force is in the opposite direction, the electric field is in the opposite direction of the velocity.

How is the Lorentz Force Law used in practical applications?

The Lorentz Force Law is used in various practical applications, such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. It is also used in the development of devices like electric motors, generators, and transformers.

Are there any limitations to the Lorentz Force Law?

Yes, the Lorentz Force Law has some limitations. It is only applicable to charged particles moving in electric and magnetic fields and does not account for other forces that may be present. It also does not take into account quantum effects that may occur at the atomic level.