Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transform Derivation questions

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to follow along with Simple Derivation of the Lorentz Transformation, but am having some hurdles.

I'll be referring to step (5) which states:
    x'=ax-bct
    ct'=act-bx​
    In paragraph marked 6, I see that the author tries to get eqn (5) to describe motion of the K' frame. This is an important move, but not understood. Up until that point, I believe x' has been a description of the position of light on the frame K' with x' having rules of motion that include x'=ct'. x'=ct' suggests to me that x' is at the K' origin for only a moment when t'=0, but the author states that:
    For the origin of k' we have permanently x' = 0[...]​
    I don't understand the "permanence" here. Does x' linger at the K' origin? Did x' change meaning? Is it poor notation? Is it that since t'=0 is the only valid moment* for (5) that the state of that moment constitutes a permanent state for (5)? Is there a better description of why (5) begins to be used to track the motion of the frame? I don't see how the position of x' helps understand the movement of K' here.

* "The only valid moment" is an unconfirmed assumption on my part. (5) was derived from equations like x-ct=0 and x+ct=0 (inferred) and x'-ct'=0 and x'+ct'=0 (inferred). Upon combining equations in (5), I think all former conditions need to be satisfied by any x, t, x', or t' used with (5). That is, valid x,t,x',t' must not contradict any of: x-ct=0, x+ct=0, x'-ct'=0, or x'+ct'=0, which implies that x=0, t=0, x'=0, and t'=0. What perspective am I missing?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is just a matter of definition. The x' coordinate in the frame K' is defined by measuring distances from some inertially moving object that is at rest in the K' frame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook