1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz’s law of voltage for ac-generator

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Greetings
    So i was trying to solve following prolems:

2qsma8o.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did manage to solve problem 22 using
    E = NAB(2pi * f)
    E = (100)(0.005)(0.9)(2pi)(50) = 141.372 v

But I have no idea what to do with problem 21. Mostly because I don't know what Lorentz’s law of voltage is.
    I am aware that there is law for lorenz Force, but it require stuff like length, drift velocity and other data not given in problem. Not to mention that I do not need Force, I need Voltage.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect the author has made a typo. Could he be referring to Lenz's Law?

4. Mar 26, 2016 #3
    I don't know. I suppose that is possible, since I never heard before about Lorentz’s law of voltage.

5. Mar 26, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does the question come from a text book?

6. Mar 26, 2016 #5
    No, just screensot from unknown book our lecturer send us before goin to easter holiday. No details,sadly.

Anyway, since google does not find anying about Lorentz’s law of voltage it can indeed be a typo. However, from what I can see, Lenz's Law = E=-N (dФ/dt) or emf = -(loopsofwire)(magnetic flow over some area, per time).
    This is looking fairly similar to my solution or problem 22. And, from my understanding, Lenz's Law is part of Faraday law.
    So I guess I already solve it using Lenz's Law in problem 22, it's problem 21 that confuse me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted