Faraday's Law: Induced Voltage and Current in a Loop with Resistance R

In summary, we are trying to find the induced voltage and current in a loop placed at a distance a from an infinitely long wire carrying current I=I_0sin(ωt). We use Faraday's law to find the emf, which is given by the integral of the magnetic field over the area of the loop. The magnetic field is given by Ampere's law as B=μ_0I/2πr. After integrating, we can find the induced voltage and current in the loop.
horsewnoname

Homework Statement

An infinitely long wire carries current [itex]I=I_0sin(wt)[/itex]. A distance [itex]a[/itex] from this wire is an [itex]w[/itex] by [itex]l[/itex] loop with resistance [itex]R[/itex] with induced voltage [itex]V[/itex] and induced current [itex]i[/itex]. Find the induced voltage and current in the loop.

Homework Equations

Faraday's law is given by [itex]\varepsilon = \oint \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{l}=-\frac{d\phi }{dt}[/itex]where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the magnetic flux given by [itex]\int \boldsymbol{B}\cdot d\boldsymbol{s}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in order to find the voltage, I need to find the emf which is given by Faraday's law stated above. I pursue this by first coming up with an expression for the magnetic flux.

Although, to do this, I first need to know the magnetic field produced by the infinite wire. From memory (or by Ampere's law), I know this to be [itex]B=\frac{\mu _0I}{2\pi r}[/itex].

The problem I am having is that the magnetic field is a function of [itex]r[/itex] which bothers me. When I use this magnetic field expression to determine the flux and then take the derivative with respect to time to yield the emf, the result is an expression for the voltage that varies with [itex]r[/itex] which makes no sense. What am I forgetting?

Physics news on Phys.org
horsewnoname said:

Homework Statement

An infinitely long wire carries current [itex]I=I_0sin(wt)[/itex]. A distance [itex]a[/itex] from this wire is an [itex]w[/itex] by [itex]l[/itex] loop with resistance [itex]R[/itex] with induced voltage [itex]V[/itex] and induced current [itex]i[/itex]. Find the induced voltage and current in the loop.
I assume the ##w## in ##\text{sin}(wt)## is supposed to be different than the ##w## in the loop dimensions. I also assume that the loop is in the plane of the wire, is it or is it perpendicular to the wire?
horsewnoname said:
The problem I am having is that the magnetic field is a function of rrr which bothers me. When I use this magnetic field expression to determine the flux and then take the derivative with respect to time to yield the emf, the result is an expression for the voltage that varies with rrr which makes no sense. What am I forgetting?
You have to integrate ##\mathbf{B}## across the area of the loop in order to find ##\phi##.

NFuller said:
I assume the ##w## in ##\text{sin}(wt)## is supposed to be different than the ##w## in the loop dimensions. I also assume that the loop is in the plane of the wire, is it or is it perpendicular to the wire?

You have to integrate ##\mathbf{B}## across the area of the loop in order to find ##\phi##.
Yes, of course - I just need to integrate the magnetic field over the dimensions of the loop so that I can get an expression for flux in terms of the given quantities. I feel foolish for not realizing this! And yes, you're assumptions were correct. The [itex]w[/itex] in the sine should actually be an omega - that was my typo. Should I edit my question for posterity or will your stated assumptions suffice?

horsewnoname said:
Should I edit my question for posterity or will your stated assumptions suffice?
It should be fine since you have clarified it.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the induced electric field in a conductor. It states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the conductor.

2. How is voltage induced in a loop with resistance R?

When a conductor, such as a loop of wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the loop will also change. This changing flux creates an induced electric field, which in turn causes a current to flow in the loop. This current produces a voltage across the loop, which is known as induced voltage or EMF.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage and current?

The magnitude of induced voltage and current in a loop is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, and the resistance of the loop. A stronger magnetic field, faster rate of change, more turns, and lower resistance will result in a higher induced voltage and current.

4. How does resistance affect the induced current in a loop?

The resistance of a loop affects the magnitude of the induced current in two ways. First, a higher resistance will result in a lower induced current, as the resistance will impede the flow of current. Second, the presence of resistance in the loop will also cause the induced voltage to drop, as some of the induced voltage will be lost as heat due to the resistance. This is known as Joule heating.

5. What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has numerous real-world applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the basis for many forms of wireless power transfer, such as induction charging for electronic devices. Additionally, Faraday's Law is used in many industrial processes, such as electromagnetic forming and welding.