Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Kirchoff's voltage law and the formation of a voltage equation for a specific loop. The student's solution was marked wrong because it included an unknown variable, Q, for the voltage on the capacitor. The student argues that this is a valid approach because of the relationship between current and charge on the capacitor. However, the conversation concludes that this is not a valid argument and that the transient period of the circuit should be considered instead.
Haven Barnes

Homework Statement

Here is the problem in question. The only values given are those shown on the circuit labels. We are asked to form a voltage equation using Kirchoff's voltage law with specific loops. We were NOT asked to solve the equations for the currents.

Homework Equations

Sum of Voltage in a closed loop = 0.
V = IR
Voltage on an inductor = -L*(di/dt)
V = Q/C

Important equation for my question: I = dQ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was this: for loop BCFE, I formed this equation:
-2I3 - I3/7 - 2I3 + 5*dI2/dt = 0

^This equation was marked completely wrong because he wanted Q/7 for the voltage on the capacitor in the diagram.

However, we are not given a value for Q, so I was wondering how having this unknown variable in the equation would help us solve for the currents at all?

When I asked, my professor told me that I was 100% wrong because if I tried to solve for the currents, it would not work. (Which confuses me as Q doesn't seem to be helpful either as we would be left with too many unknown variables).

Here's my attempt at arguing why it is right. I would appreciate any advice/direction on if I am way off or am in the right direction.

My idea is that since I = dQ/dt, this forms a direct relationship between the charge on that conductor and the current we would be trying to solve for. Using a differential equation and some other fiddling I feel that I could argue that this is true

Here is an example of the strategy I'm referring to, however this is used on an AC circuit.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that the charge on a capacitor is equal to the integral of the current over time. So if ##I_c## is the current flowing into the capacitor, then
$$V_c = \frac{1}{C} \int I_c~dt$$

Ok, that's helpful!

My next thought is that we can assume from the circuit diagram (and no V(t) function given for the Battery), that this is a DC circuit, and that means that the current is constant.

Would it be ok to assume from this that the voltage on the capacitor is then : V_c = I(t) / C ?

Haven Barnes said:
Would it be ok to assume from this that the voltage on the capacitor is then : Vc = I(t) / C ?
How can you say current is constant? DC circuit implies that the source voltage is constant.
Haven Barnes said:
Vc = I(t) / C ?
Vc=Q/C always and not I/C.

Haven Barnes said:
Ok, that's helpful!

My next thought is that we can assume from the circuit diagram (and no V(t) function given for the Battery), that this is a DC circuit, and that means that the current is constant.

Would it be ok to assume from this that the voltage on the capacitor is then : Vc = I(t) / C ?
At steady state (after a long time) the capacitor voltage will have reached its final value and no further current will flow into it. That will make that whole loop "dead", since no current will flow. Similarly, at steady state the current will stop changing in the inductor and it will end up with zero potential difference across it (it'll look like a short circuit). You can determine the steady state conditions by shorting out any inductors and removing any capacitors, then determine the potentials and currents in what's left of the circuit.

The interesting stuff for this sort of circuit is the period between switching on the power and steady state. This is known as the transient period, and the circuit behavior during that time is called the transient response. Solving the equations to determine the transient response involves solving simultaneous differential equations (your loop equations!).

cnh1995 said:
How can you say current is constant? DC circuit implies that the source voltage is constant.

Vc=Q/C always and not I/C.

That is the normal value of Vc, but the main point of this thread is to see if in this case, there exists such a relationship through the I = dQ/dt equation where Vc could actually be I/C

Also, DC doesn't necessarily mean constant voltage only. It could refer to constant voltage and/or constant current inputs

gneill said:
At steady state (after a long time) the capacitor voltage will have reached its final value and no further current will flow into it. That will make that whole loop "dead", since no current will flow. Similarly, at steady state the current will stop changing in the inductor and it will end up with zero potential difference across it (it'll look like a short circuit). You can determine the steady state conditions by shorting out any inductors and removing any capacitors, then determine the potentials and currents in what's left of the circuit.

The interesting stuff for this sort of circuit is the period between switching on the power and steady state. This is known as the transient period, and the circuit behavior during that time is called the transient response. Solving the equations to determine the transient response involves solving simultaneous differential equations (your loop equations!).

Thanks for your explanations. This has helped me understand RLC circuits and steady sate/transients exponentially greater :)

That said, in this specific case, if you were the grader would you think I had an argument to make for the presence of our current in the voltage value of the capacitor?

Haven Barnes said:
That said, in this specific case, if you were the grader would you think I had an argument to make for the presence of our current in the voltage value of the capacitor?
Unfortunately, no :frown: Even the units are not consistent, yielding volts/second instead of volts.

gneill said:
Unfortunately, no :frown: Even the units are not consistent, yielding volts/second instead of volts.

Ah very true. Too bad. Thanks again for your help, it'll definitely be good for my final coming next week.

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must equal the sum of all the voltage sources in that same loop. This law is used to calculate the voltage across a capacitor in a circuit.

2. How is Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor different from Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) applies to all types of circuits, while Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor (KVLC) specifically takes into account the voltage across a capacitor. KVL states that the sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must be zero, while KVLC states that the sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit, including the voltage across a capacitor, must be equal to the sum of all the voltage sources in that loop.

3. How is a capacitor affected by Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

A capacitor is affected by Kirchoff's Voltage Law because it is a voltage-dependent component in a circuit. The voltage drop across a capacitor is a result of the charge stored on its plates, and this voltage must be taken into account when applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor.

4. Can Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor be used in AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor can be used in AC circuits. However, the voltage across a capacitor in an AC circuit will vary with time, so the law must be applied to each individual point in time rather than the overall circuit. This can be done using phasors or complex numbers.

5. Why is Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor important in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law with Capacitor is important in circuit analysis because it is a fundamental principle that allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of circuits with capacitors. By using this law, we can determine the voltage across a capacitor and use it to design and troubleshoot complex circuits.