Lost with exercise about circular motion

In summary, the conversation is about a physics exercise involving a ball being thrown at a constant speed and spin rate. The goal is to determine the number of full turns the ball makes between release and catch, using unit conversions and related rates. The conversation also touches on the difficulties of understanding units and concepts in different countries and the potential consequences of redefining pi.
physicos
Hi everyone, my physics final is coming in 3 days:cry: , and I really need to have an answer to this exercise , but I'm stuck ! I don't even understand the problem statement HELP !

A typical fastball is thrwon at approximately 90 mph and with a spin rate of 113 rpm (I don't understand what it is).If the distance between the pitcher's point of release and the catcher's glove is 60.5 ft, how many full turns does the ball make between release and catch ? Neglect any effect of gravity or air resistance on the ball's flight

ANY GRAPH OR EXPLAINING WOULD BE PRECIOUS ! :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be more helpful if you would explain specifically what you don't understand.

Do you know what a ball is?

Have you ever thrown a ball?

Do you understand the units in the problem? (what do 'mph', 'ft', and 'rpm' mean?)

You can ask all sorts of questions, but tell us the ones you really are having the most trouble with.

Draw a diagram.

Determine the time the ball takes to cover the distance between pitcher and catcher.

As the ball travels it also rotates. The rotation rate is 113 RPM, which is roughly twice per second.

Well , I have already thrown a ball (thanks god) , but I come from a french institution , and we didn't use 'mph', 'ft', and 'rpm' or else , it was more : m/s , m , rad/s !
In France , we don't play baseball , so I don"t really know what pitcher and catcher are located or what they are supposed to do !
A diagram and some explanation would help ! So far , I undestrood that vi = 90 mph and w = 113 rpm and I = 2/5 mr² and the ball goes a distance d= 60.5 ft , but how can I relate this to number of turns that I consider as frequency ??

Surely, in France, they must know what a revolution is! I can't imagine that a typical Frenchman would say that the Earth turns on its axis 2π radians every 24 heures.

Like most simple physics problems, understanding the units is key to solving the problem. I understand you may not be familiar with feet, miles, etc., but you are using a computer to communicate with PF, so you should be able to find unit conversions for feet to meters, miles to kilometres, etc. The question isn't asking you about the rules for playing baseball; it's just using two people playing pitch and catch as an illustration.

I've been looking for a link between what we learn in France in US and got an explanation , still,it is not helping me relate what they are asking for and what we have got as informtion

physicos said:
I've been looking for a link between what we learn in France in US and got an explanation , still,it is not helping me relate what they are asking for and what we have got as informtion
Can you now convert 90 mph to m/s, 113 rpm (revolutions per minute) to rad/s, and 60.5 ft to metres?
How long is the ball in the air?

well vi= 40.5 m/s and ωi= 11.83 rad/s and d= 18.15m !

I'm thinking about using ωf²-ωi²= 2*α*Δθ

and Δθ would be the number of turns ,i have ωi , how about ωf ? should I use ωf = vi/d ??

physicos said:
well vi= 40.5 m/s and ωi= 11.83 rad/s and d= 18.15m !

I'm thinking about using ωf²-ωi²= 2*α*Δθ

and Δθ would be the number of turns ,i have ωi , how about ωf ? should I use ωf = vi/d ??

The spin rate is constant, so I don't think your formula has much applicability to this problem.

It's a simple problem. The ball is traveling at a constant speed (90 miles/hour). It's rotating at a constant rate (113 turns/minute). The ball is thrown a certain distance (60.5 feet). You have a problem of related rates and unit conversions, in finding the number of turns the ball makes while it is in flight. You are over thinking about what to do to solve it.

so , thinking about t = v*d = 730.2 s= 12.17 min ! and w= Δθ/t so Δθ=w*t= 1375,21turns ??

physicos said:
so , thinking about t = v*d
I don't think so!

physicos said:
so , thinking about t = v*d = 730.2 s= 12.17 min ! and w= Δθ/t so Δθ=w*t= 1375,21turns ??

That's one slooooooowwwww pitch.

In that amount of time, you could brew a pot of coffee, drink the coffee, and wash the pot.

SteamKing said:
Surely, in France, they must know what a revolution is! I can't imagine that a typical Frenchman would say that the Earth turns on its axis 2π radians every 24 heures.
During the French Revolution an edict was issued re-defining Pi to be precisely 3 in order to simplify mathematics for the masses. While the edict was subsequently rescinded, it led to a host of conceptual difficulties, some of which It is said endure to this day.

NascentOxygen said:
During the French Revolution an edict was issued re-defining Pi to be precisely 3 in order to simplify mathematics for the masses. While the edict was subsequently rescinded, it led to a host of conceptual difficulties, some of which It is said endure to this day.
Do you have a reference for that? The only clear example I can find of such a move was in Indiana in 1897 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill#Legislative_history.

Yeah, and 5 euros ought to get you a decent cuppa Joe in any bistro in Paris. The OP's difficulties with this problem seem to stem from something more basic than what some crazy Frenchmen did 200 years ago w.r.t. defining pi. I don't know if it's a language difficulty, the fact that the French never had a good baseball team, or what, but it's something basic. I mean, t = v*d? That's got nothing to do with the value of pi. At this point, the OP would be better off telling his school he came down with a sudden case of Ebola, because it doesn't look like he is ready to take this physics final exam.

Well, I needed help in physics , not history... !

physicos said:
Well, I needed help in physics , not history... !

Good. Let's start with t = v*d. Where did that come from?

You realize that d = distance = length units and v = velocity = length units / unit time

So t = time = v*d = length units * length units / time units = (length units)[itex]^{2}[/itex]/time

Thus t = v*d cannot be right. Try again.

Well, that explains why the dropout rate in first year tends to be ~50%

physicos said:

With mechanics questions you can always check your own answers. Always ask yourself the question: Is this realistic? If I throw a ball, is it really going to rotate around its axis 1000 times??

OHH ! I just realized ! SHAME ON ME ! I'M REALLY SORRY ! I'm more stressed than ever , and I have so much to handle ! I'm really sorry !
v=d/t so t= d/v ! It is evident that I'm aware of this ! just question of units would make me know it ! I'm so sorry agaain !
so t= 0.45s=7.5 *10^-3 min so Δθ=w*t=5.30 turns (I changed unit of w to rad/min when I used time in minutes and rad/s to double check with time in seconds don't worry)

TheAustrian, the dropout rate won't concern me , I was just stressed and overwhelmed with load of studies ! Watch me having an A in my physics ! I'm not dumb ! I just didn't understand what exercise asked and as you can see I had "basic" formulas , so no need to "monter sur tes grands chevaux " as would French say !

physicos said:
OHH ! I just realized ! SHAME ON ME ! I'M REALLY SORRY ! I'm more stressed than ever , and I have so much to handle ! I'm really sorry !
v=d/t so t= d/v ! It is evident that I'm aware of this ! just question of units would make me know it ! I'm so sorry agaain !
so t= 0.45s=7.5 *10^-3 min so Δθ=w*t=5.30 turns (I changed unit of w to rad/min when I used time in minutes and rad/s to double check with time in seconds don't worry)

Still hung up on revolutions, eh?

Look the ball turns 113 revolution per minute. There are 60 seconds in 1 minute. How many turns does the ball make in 1 second? How many turns in 0.45 second? It's a simple proportion problem.

And no, the answer isn't 5.3 revolutions. If you check your calculations, I think you'll find you've made a mistake with your units.

physicos said:
TheAustrian, the dropout rate won't concern me , I was just stressed and overwhelmed with load of studies ! Watch me having an A in my physics ! I'm not dumb ! I just didn't understand what exercise asked and as you can see I had "basic" formulas , so no need to "monter sur tes grands chevaux " as would French say !

I am sorry, I did not have my message with any particular bad intentions towards you. Actually I realize that occasionally homework/exam questions are very badly worded and confuse students.

On a sidenote, especially, questions that have an unnecessarily long-winded story attached to them seem to particularly throw off students that are bi or multilingual.

What might help you in your situation now is to go through your study notes and materials, and collect all the fundamental formulae that you need to know for your exams, write it up on an A3 sized paper, and stick it on your wall. It might help you in memorizing the basics.

Steamking : I used w with rad/s ,so Δθ was in rad ! I should only use w with turns/min and leave time in minutes !

Thank you theAustrian !

What is circular motion and how does it relate to exercise?

Circular motion is any motion in which an object follows a circular path. When it comes to exercise, circular motion can refer to any exercise that involves rotating or spinning movements, such as using an elliptical machine, doing Russian twists, or performing a roundhouse kick. These exercises can help improve balance, coordination, and core strength.

Can circular motion exercises help with weight loss?

While circular motion exercises do have cardiovascular benefits and can burn calories, they should not be the only form of exercise used for weight loss. A well-rounded exercise routine that includes both cardiovascular and strength training exercises is usually more effective for weight loss.

What are some examples of circular motion exercises?

Some examples of circular motion exercises include hula hooping, jump rope, medicine ball twists, and cycling. These exercises can be modified to fit different fitness levels and can be done with or without equipment. It's important to choose exercises that you enjoy and that work well with your fitness goals.

Are there any precautions to take when doing circular motion exercises?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when doing circular motion exercises. It's important to maintain proper form and technique to avoid injury. If using equipment, make sure it is properly set up and adjusted for your body. It's also important to listen to your body and stop if you experience any pain or discomfort.

How often should circular motion exercises be done?

The frequency of circular motion exercises will vary depending on individual fitness goals and abilities. For general fitness, it is recommended to do at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio exercise 5 days a week. However, it's important to also incorporate strength training and rest days into your exercise routine for overall health and well-being.