Lottery Combinations Homework: Solving for Guaranteed Matches

In summary, to guarantee at least one number out of 3 matching the winning combination, a student would need to buy 2 tickets. For at least 2 numbers to match, the student would need to buy C(6,2)/3 tickets, and for all 3 numbers to match, C(6,3)/1 tickets. These formulas are based on the total number of combinations and the number of winning combinations on each ticket.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Students are playing a lottery game. In this game, three numbers are drawn from a set of six.

If the three numbers on a student's ticket match those drawn, the student wins the full prize. If just one or two numbers match, the student wins a consolation prize.

The order of the numbers doesn't matter. Also, once a number is picked it cannot be picked again.

a) How many tickets would a student have to buy to guarantee that at least one number out of 3 matches the winning combination?

b) What if at least 2 numbers need to match?

c) What if all 3 numbers need to match?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that the answer to is 2 tickets. This is because you could buy the following:

1,2,3 on one ticket. 4,5,6 on the other. This way, at least one of the numbers will match the winning ticket.

But I have to represent this mathematically. Would it be (6 choose 1) / 3?

b) If my formula is correct, then it would be (6 choose 2) / 3

c) (6 choose 3) / 3

But I am not sure if my formula is right. I'm having trouble reasoning it out in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems fine to me, except the last one. In general, you get the total number of combinations and divide it by the number of winning combinations in each ticket, as a result you get the number of tickets.

For instance, in the 2nd question, we have C(6,2) combinations. However, each ticket has 3 combination (because if we have x,y,z then (x,y), (y,z) and (x,z) are winning combinations). However, in the 3rd question we have C(6,3) but each ticket covers only one winning combination.

What is the purpose of "Lottery Combinations Homework: Solving for Guaranteed Matches"?

The purpose of this homework is to practice solving for guaranteed matches in lottery combinations. This skill is important for understanding the odds of winning in a lottery and for developing strategies to increase the chances of winning.

What does "guaranteed match" mean in the context of lottery combinations?

In the context of lottery combinations, a guaranteed match means that a certain number of the selected numbers will definitely match the winning numbers in a lottery draw. This is often used to calculate the odds of winning and to determine the best number combinations to play.

How do you solve for guaranteed matches in lottery combinations?

To solve for guaranteed matches in lottery combinations, you need to use a combination formula. This formula takes into account the total number of possible combinations and the number of guaranteed matches. By plugging in these values, you can determine the probability of having a certain number of guaranteed matches in a lottery draw.

Why is it important to understand guaranteed matches in lottery combinations?

Understanding guaranteed matches in lottery combinations is important because it helps you make informed decisions when playing the lottery. By knowing the odds of having a certain number of matches, you can choose number combinations that increase your chances of winning. It also allows you to set realistic expectations and avoid wasting money on unlikely combinations.

Can guaranteed matches be manipulated to increase the chances of winning in a lottery?

No, guaranteed matches cannot be manipulated in a lottery. The numbers are drawn randomly and the probability of having a certain number of matches is fixed. However, understanding guaranteed matches can help you choose number combinations that have a higher chance of winning based on the odds.