Exploring the Evolution of Low Mass Stars

In summary, when the hydrogen fuel in a star, such as the sun, is depleted, the core begins to contract and the surrounding hydrogen shell heats up and starts burning. This increases the energy output and size of the star, causing it to expand. The core will eventually stop collapsing due to electron degeneracy pressure and reach a high enough temperature for helium to start burning, resulting in a "helium flash". This process repeats until all the helium is burned, causing the outer layers of the star to fall off and form a planetary nebula. Eventually, the star will become a white dwarf and cool off. For more information on the stages of a low mass star, refer to sources such as Wikipedia.
ehabmozart
In my book, it is written that in an evolution of a star, specifically the sun, IT will run low on hydrogen fuel but will have produced so much energy that it will expand slightly... Once H- fuel is used, the star will start fusing helium nuclei. This complex process can cause an explosion that throws some material from the star into the space forming a planetary nebula.. My questions are:
1) Why would the star expand after the hydrogen fuel is over. At that time, the gravity dominates and it should collapse.. Am i right?
2) Y helium fusion is a complex process. I mean what is a planetary nebula.. In my book it seems like a coolapsed star with some dust around it...
3) If possible, i would like to know the stages of this low mass star in an easy detailed way if possible.
I got to exams at the corner.. Please help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
when the hydrogen in the core has all fused into helium, the core begins to contract. This causes the "shell" of hydrogen surrounding the core to heat up, and begin burning. This happens because the shell of hydrogen follows the core of helium as it collapses inwards. The shell of burning hydrogen then increases the energy output of the star, and thus its luminosity and size.

At some point, the core will stop collapsing due to electron degeneracy pressure. The core will continue to heat up after that. Once it reaches a temperature of roughly 10^8 K, the helium will begin to burn and form Carbon. Because the whole entire core reaches this temperature nearly simultaneously, all of the helium starts burning at once and this is called the "Helium flash". After the helium starts burning, the star contracts again.

It will start this process over again once all the Helium has burned into Carbon, and there will be a helium shell, etc.

During this process, as the star becomes really really big, the outer layers of the star will sort of fall off, because they are so far out and dispersed. This is what causes the planetary nebula.

Once the star has burned through everything it can burn, it becomes a white dwarf, and then sits there for a very long time, doing nothing but cooling off.

Try wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_giant or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution#Mid-sized_stars

for more information

1. What is the definition of a low mass star?

A low mass star is a star that has a mass less than 2 solar masses. This is in contrast to high mass stars, which have a mass greater than 8 solar masses.

2. How do low mass stars form?

Low mass stars are formed through the gravitational collapse of a molecular cloud of gas and dust. As the cloud collapses, it heats up and forms a protostar, which eventually becomes a low mass star.

3. What is the main source of energy for low mass stars?

The main source of energy for low mass stars is nuclear fusion, specifically the fusion of hydrogen atoms into helium. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy, which is what keeps the star shining and stable.

4. How does the evolution of low mass stars differ from high mass stars?

The evolution of low mass stars is much slower and less dramatic compared to high mass stars. Low mass stars have a longer main sequence lifespan and do not go through intense stages of nuclear fusion like high mass stars do. They also do not end their lives in a supernova explosion.

5. What happens to low mass stars at the end of their lives?

Low mass stars will eventually run out of hydrogen fuel and start fusing helium. This causes the star to expand into a red giant. As the star runs out of helium, it will shrink and become a white dwarf, which slowly cools and fades away. This process can take billions of years.