Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low PAPR permformance for Monochromatic Frequency signals

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1
    I understand what is Monochromatic frequency signals from https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/monochromatic-waves.570958/, but could somebody kindly give a brief explaination about "why does a monochromatic frequency signal result in poor PAPR (Peak to average Power Ratio) performance"?.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2016 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but I don't think that claim is necessarily true.

A monochromatic signal is essentially just a simple, unmodulated sinusoidal wave. That gives a PAPR of 3 dB.

Once you start modulating that signal, in frequency, phase or amplitude, its bandwidth will increase, but at that point it's no longer monochromatic.

You can improve PAPR by starting with a square wave (and modulate its phase or frequency if you choose to modulate it), but the fact that a square wave is involved introduces spectral sidebands (the power spectral density of a square wave is sinc squared function). So at least in this respect, there is a trade-off between PAPR and spectral properties. Filtering off the sidebands can worsen PAPR properties.

All that said, compare a monochromatic signal with a PAPR of 3 dB to a typical OFDM (orthogonal frequency division multiplxing) signal which can have a PAPR in excess of 12 dB. The narrowband, monochromatic signal has much better PAPR properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted