Low Power FM transmitter explanation

In summary: If you're not happy with the result, you might want to try different values for the varicap capacitor.
mk2709
Hello everyone,
Finally I found a useful website where I can find the answers of my questions:)

I will take signal processing course soon and I thought "building a low power fm transmitter" is a bright idea to train myself to a certain level... Though I need your help and I don't have anybody around me to find out how it goes...

I found a circuit online and I'm trying to understand every single point of the circuit...from top till toe! just building and soldering the elements will do nothing I'm sure! I need to understand each and every elements, so I thought that if I ask questions to you, maybe you can help me...
don't tell me that "it is very easy!" please! I know it is and I just want to understand it as much as the owner does=)

As far as I understood, first part(with mic and first transistor) is an audio amplifier! How can I measure th output of the amplifier?

I guess second transistor is used for frequency modulation! I think I need an immediate assistance on that part :rolleyes:

Tank circuit oscillates at the rezonant frequency (i'll use 22pF varicap) and 0.118μH will give me 98.70Mhz output!

So, since we know that a human voice frequency is in between 60Hz-4000Hz, what is the procedure in my circuit step by step??

Any answer or comment will save my life=)))) Thanks for your concerns!

Attachments

• addaddadadadadad.JPG
    addaddadadadadad.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 408
Engineering news on Phys.org
mk2709 said:
As far as I understood, first part(with mic and first transistor) is an audio amplifier! How can I measure th output of the amplifier?
The easiest way would be with an oscilloscope. If you don't have an oscilloscope you could try to use a meter but the signal will probably be too small to see with a meter. (Put the meter on AC, connect the leads to the collector of the first transistor and ground, and speak into the microphone.

mk2709 said:
I guess second transistor is used for frequency modulation! I think I need an immediate assistance on that part :rolleyes:
What do you need assistance with?

mk2709 said:
Tank circuit oscillates at the rezonant frequency (i'll use 22pF varicap) and 0.118μH will give me 98.70Mhz output!
If 22pF is the maximum value of your varicap, you may want to add a 15 pf cap in parallel to reduce the tuning range and put 98.7 MHz closer to the center of the capacitor's tuning range.

mk2709 said:
So, since we know that a human voice frequency is in between 60Hz-4000Hz, what is the procedure in my circuit step by step??
??

Any answer or comment will save my life=)))) Thanks for your concerns![/QUOTE]

The easiest way would be with an oscilloscope. If you don't have an oscilloscope you could try to use a meter but the signal will probably be too small to see with a meter. (Put the meter on AC, connect the leads to the collector of the first transistor and ground, and speak into the microphone.

Thanks, I tried and experinced the change in value of collector output of the 1st transistor.

What do you need assistance with?

As I tried to explain above, I know that the first transistor part is for audio amplification. And the 2nd transistor (the place where i will modulate my frequency) uses the audio signals to shift my carrier frequency ie. if I have 98.70Mhz oscillation frequency from the tank circuit, it will be shifted by the transistor just before it's radiated via aerial wire. (I don't know how much it will be shifted, this is the point where i lose my track :cry: )

If there is something missing or wrong or completely wrong, please correct me... :uhh:

I told you that I'm losing my point after a while=)) I hope i am not beyond redemption :frown:

I don't know of any easy, cheap way of measuring deviation. You could listen to your signal on an FM radio and compare the volume of your signal with the volume of other FM stations. If you have access to a radio lab, there are instruments like a measuring receiver that you might use.

The person who designed this circuit may have tested it and found the deviation to be about right.

Hello! It's great to hear that you are interested in learning more about signal processing and low power FM transmitters. It's always important to have a good understanding of the circuit and its components before attempting to build it.

To answer your question about measuring the output of the audio amplifier, you can use a multimeter or oscilloscope to measure the voltage at the output. This will give you an idea of the amplification that is occurring.

As for the second transistor, it is indeed used for frequency modulation. This is a process where the frequency of a carrier wave is varied in order to carry the information signal (in this case, the audio signal). To understand this process better, I would recommend researching the concepts of modulation and demodulation in more detail.

The tank circuit plays a crucial role in the frequency modulation process. As you mentioned, the varicap and inductor determine the resonant frequency, which in this case is 98.70MHz. This means that the carrier wave will oscillate at this frequency, and the audio signal will be superimposed on it through the modulation process.

In terms of the procedure for the circuit, it would be best to first understand the individual components and their functions, and then put them together step by step. You can also refer to online resources or textbooks for more detailed information and examples of similar circuits.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your project! Remember to always prioritize understanding the circuit and its components before attempting to build it.

1. What is a Low Power FM transmitter?

A Low Power FM (LPFM) transmitter is a type of radio transmitter that broadcasts at a lower power output compared to traditional FM radio stations. It typically has a range of up to a few miles and is commonly used for community or campus radio stations.

2. How does an LPFM transmitter work?

An LPFM transmitter uses a process called modulation to convert audio signals into radio waves that can be transmitted through the air. The transmitter takes the audio input and combines it with a radio frequency carrier wave, which is then amplified and broadcasted through an antenna.

3. What are the benefits of using an LPFM transmitter?

LPFM transmitters are cost-effective and easy to set up, making them a popular choice for smaller radio stations or organizations with limited budgets. They also offer a more localized and intimate listening experience for listeners compared to larger commercial FM stations.

4. Are there any limitations to using an LPFM transmitter?

One limitation of LPFM transmitters is their limited broadcast range, which can vary depending on factors such as terrain and interference. They also have stricter regulations and licensing requirements compared to other types of radio transmitters.

5. Can I use an LPFM transmitter for commercial purposes?

No, LPFM transmitters are restricted to non-commercial use only. They are intended for educational, religious, or community-based radio stations and cannot be used for advertising or generating profits.