Solving for Concentration of Ethanoate Ions in Ethanoic Acid Solution

• Thread starter dav1d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the concentration of ethanoate (acetate) ions is expected to be 1.8x10-3 mol/L in a 0.18 mol/L solution of ethanoic (acetic) acid.
dav1d

Homework Statement

What concentration of ethanoate (acetate) ions is
expected in a 0.18 mol/L solution of ethanoic
(acetic) acid? Ka is 1.76 x 10-5 at 25°C.

Homework Equations

Ka=products/reactants

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Ka=1.76 x 10-5=products/reactants but I really don't know what to do from there. I have tried the ICE box method; initial, change, equilibrium but that doesn't seem to work. My textbook only covers the ICE box method and the basic formula, help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your take with the ICE method, not only it is perfectly suitable here but it also works exactly as expected.

hydrogen acetate acetic acid
initial: 0 0 0.18mol/L
change: - +x -x
equilibrium: 0 0+x 0.18-x

1.76x10^-5=(0.18-x)/x
x=.1799999 mol/L

but apparently the answer is 1.8x10^-3 mol/L.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
dav1d said:
change: - +x -x
equilibrium: 0 0+x 0.18-x

1.76x10^-5=(0.18-x)/x

Am I missing something?

Yes, your ICE table is incomplete (what happens to H+ concentration during acid dissociation?) and your Ka expression is umop apisdn.

To some extent it doesn't matter, but the convention is to write dissociation reaction starting with undissociated substance as reactant, and to make ICE table for such a reaction. You reversed everything.

so would it be

change: +x +x -2x
equilibrium: x x 0.18-x

1.76x10^-5=(o.18-x)/x^2
that still gives an incorrect 0.18 or -1.76...

What do you mean the Ka is upside down? Isn't it products/reactants?
So how should I write the table using the 'normal' convention?

What are products of the dissociation reaction?

Borek said:
What are products of the dissociation reaction?

hydrogen and acetate are dissociated from the acetic acid.

dav1d said:
Isn't it products/reactants?

dav1d said:
hydrogen and acetate are dissociated from the acetic acid.

So if hydronium (not hydrogen!) and acetate are products, why do you put them in denominator?

Borek said:
So if hydronium (not hydrogen!) and acetate are products, why do you put them in denominator?

lol I guess I should have written the equation first. will update soon.

FAQ: Solving for Concentration of Ethanoate Ions in Ethanoic Acid Solution

1. What is the purpose of solving for the concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution?

The concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution is an important parameter in determining the strength and properties of the acid solution. It is also commonly used in various chemical reactions and calculations.

2. How do you calculate the concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution?

The concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution can be calculated by dividing the moles of ethanoate ions present by the volume of the solution in liters. This can be obtained by using the formula: concentration (M) = moles of ethanoate ions (mol) / volume of solution (L).

3. What factors can affect the concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution?

The concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the molar ratio of the acid and its conjugate base. It can also be influenced by the presence of other solutes or impurities in the solution.

4. How can you determine the concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution experimentally?

The concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution can be determined experimentally by conducting a titration with a known concentration of a strong base. The volume of the base required to neutralize the acid solution can be used to calculate the concentration of ethanoate ions.

5. What is the significance of knowing the concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution?

Knowing the concentration of ethanoate ions in ethanoic acid solution is important in various applications such as in the production of vinegar, food preservation, and in the pharmaceutical industry. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of the acid solution in different conditions.

Back