Why Use LU Factorization Despite Increased Matrix Density?

In summary: HJ1Y3Rpb246IEluIHN1bW1hcnkgLCBMVSBmYWN0b3JpYXRpb24gcHJvdmlkZW5jZXMgYW5kIGxpbmVzIGFuZCB1c2VkIHRvIGp1c3Qgc2F2ZSB0aGVpciB0aW1lbGluZXMgYnkgR2F1c2hpYW4gZW50aXJlYXMgKEFMUkFGLVMgYXMgbG9va3N0LCB3aGljaCB0aGUgcHJv
Natalie89
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about LU factorization.

I understand that LU factorization provides an upper and lower traingular matrices of matrix A. In matlab, a large matrix was generated, and we plotted the sparsity of A and then the sparsity of L+U and it was less sparse.

My question is:

Why would we want to do this? Is it used to just save time when finding the inverse of a matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natalie89 said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about LU factorization.

I understand that LU factorization provides an upper and lower traingular matrices of matrix A. In matlab, a large matrix was generated, and we plotted the sparsity of A and then the sparsity of L+U and it was less sparse.

My question is:

Why would we want to do this? Is it used to just save time when finding the inverse of a matrix?

Usually inverting a matrix is just about the worst way of solving a set of linear equations (unless the problem has some special structure). LU decomposition is nothing other than the familiar high-school method of solving the equations by Gaussian elimination, with the difference that we store the steps we use (so we can re-use them later if we want); these steps are put into the matrix L. Really good programs do not use "pure" LU decomposition, but may apply permutations as well to get results that are numerically more stable by avoiding pivots on small numerical values. It not uncommon for the final results to be "denser" than the original matrix, as you have observed.

RGV

Related to Why Use LU Factorization Despite Increased Matrix Density?

1. What is LU factorization of a matrix?

LU factorization of a matrix is a method used to decompose a square matrix into a lower triangular matrix (L) and an upper triangular matrix (U). This decomposition can be used to solve systems of linear equations and can also be used for matrix inversion.

2. How is LU factorization different from other matrix decompositions?

LU factorization is different from other matrix decompositions, such as QR or SVD, because it is specifically used for square matrices and results in a decomposition of a matrix into two triangular matrices. Other decompositions may result in different types of matrices, such as orthogonal or diagonal matrices.

3. What are the benefits of using LU factorization?

LU factorization has several benefits, including making it easier to solve systems of linear equations, reducing the number of operations needed for matrix inversion, and providing a more efficient way to solve for determinants and eigenvalues.

4. Can LU factorization be applied to non-square matrices?

No, LU factorization can only be applied to square matrices. For non-square matrices, other decompositions such as QR or SVD can be used.

5. How is LU factorization performed?

LU factorization is typically performed using a technique called Gaussian elimination. This involves transforming the original matrix into an upper triangular matrix using row operations, and then using back substitution to solve for the lower triangular matrix. Other methods, such as Crout's method, can also be used to perform LU factorization.