Exploring the Binary Brown Dwarf Pair Luhman 16AB and Its Orbiting Objects

• B
  • Thread starter |Glitch|
  • Start date
  • Tags
    brown dwarf
In summary, the proper label for objects in orbit around a brown dwarf is either "moon" or "satellite", with "moon" being the more specific term. This is based on the definition of a planet, which includes the ability to clear its orbit, and the fact that a brown dwarf can eventually become a giant gas planet, making any objects in orbit around it moons. However, "satellite" can also be used as a generic term for any object in orbit around another celestial body.
|Glitch|
I have been reading up on the latest Hubble observations concerning the binary brown dwarf pair Luhman 16AB (officially WISE J104915.57-531906.1AB). It occurred to me that I did not know what to call the objects that most likely are in orbit around both brown dwarfs. Since brown dwarfs are more than a planet, but less than a star, neither moon nor planet seem to apply. I am not trying to be controversial, I honestly do not know the correct label for objects that obit brown dwarfs. Can anyone help me out?

Luhman 16AB

Recent sources I've been reading:
Hubble Space Telescope astrometry of the closest brown dwarf binary system -- I. Overview and improved orbit - arXiv 1706.00657
New Looks at Brown Dwarfs - Centauri Dreams, June 13, 2017

Astronomy news on Phys.org
'Satellites'?

Likes |Glitch| and elusiveshame
A quick glance through Google suggests that 'planet' is the most commonly used term.

I tried the IAU: https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming/#minorplanets
This has the definition of minor planets, which those objects could well be. But I do not know for sure, either.

I think IAU is supposed to have a complete sets of definitions... So logically if it is a complete set of definitions, then one of them matches. Hmm.

Bandersnatch said:
'Satellites'?
"Satellite" seems like as good of a generic term as any. At least it is an accurate description, without delving into what the object might be. Satellite could apply to anything that is in orbit.

In this paper in nature they say "planet".
our favored model for this event is that it is a low-mass star or brown dwarf orbited by a planet of about Neptune’s mass.

jim mcnamara said:
I tried the IAU: https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming/#minorplanets
This has the definition of minor planets, which those objects could well be. But I do not know for sure, either.

I think IAU is supposed to have a complete sets of definitions... So logically if it is a complete set of definitions, then one of them matches. Hmm.
Definition of a planet in the solar system:
1) A planet is a celestial body that
(a)is in orbit around the Sun,
(b)has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape,
and
(c)has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit

Definition of planets outside should be the similar. I believe the IAU does not have stance on the designation of any exoplanets. Any object large enough to be identified with current technology will also be large enough to form hydrostatic equilibrium and to clear the neighborhood. So it is an "exoplanet".
A "minor planet" is too small to form hydrostatic equilibrium and is not a "comet". All things in the solar system held together by gravity are either "planet", "dwarf planet", "minor planet" or "comet".

In a recent thread concerning the Brown Dwarf Minimum Mass I seem to have stumbled upon the answer to my question in this thread.

A brown dwarf is only a brown dwarf while it is able to maintain an internal core temperature between 106 °K and 107 °K. Should the core temperature of the brown dwarf fall below 106 °K, such as after it has fused all of its deuterium/lithium, then it ceases to be a brown dwarf and becomes a giant gas planet. In which case, any object in orbit around a "dead" brown dwarf would be considered a "moon."

Since the label of the objects in orbit around a star does not change when the star "dies" and becomes either a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole, then the label of the objects in orbit around a brown dwarf should not change when the brown dwarf eventually "dies" and becomes a giant gas planet. Hence, the answer to my question appears to be "moon." Satellite, naturally, still works in a more generic sense.

1. What is the significance of exploring the binary brown dwarf pair Luhman 16AB?

The Luhman 16AB system is the closest known brown dwarf binary system to Earth, making it an ideal target for further exploration and study. By studying this system, scientists can gain a better understanding of the formation and evolution of these objects, as well as their physical properties and interactions.

2. How was the orbit of the objects around Luhman 16AB determined?

The orbit of the objects around Luhman 16AB was determined through a combination of astrometric and spectroscopic observations. Astrometry involves measuring the positions and motions of celestial objects, while spectroscopy uses the light emitted by these objects to determine their composition and other physical characteristics. These techniques were used to track the motions of the objects in the Luhman 16AB system and calculate their orbital parameters.

3. What are the potential implications of the discovery of orbiting objects around Luhman 16AB?

The discovery of orbiting objects around Luhman 16AB could have significant implications for our understanding of brown dwarfs and their formation. These objects may provide clues about the mechanisms involved in the formation of brown dwarfs and their subsequent evolution. Additionally, the presence of orbiting objects could also affect the dynamics and stability of the Luhman 16AB system.

4. How do the properties of Luhman 16AB compare to other known brown dwarf systems?

Luhman 16AB is unique in its proximity to Earth and its status as a binary brown dwarf system. However, its properties such as mass, temperature, and brightness are similar to other known brown dwarf systems. This suggests that Luhman 16AB may be a representative example of brown dwarf systems and can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of these objects.

5. What further studies are being conducted on Luhman 16AB and its orbiting objects?

Scientists are currently conducting further studies on Luhman 16AB and its orbiting objects using various telescopes and instruments. These studies aim to gather more data on the physical properties and interactions of the objects in this system, as well as to search for any additional objects that may be present. Additionally, future studies may involve modeling and simulations to better understand the formation and evolution of the Luhman 16AB system.