What is the best way to get to City A from here?

• Thread starter vikasj007
  • Start date
In summary, the man went to the phone booth to ask which way to city A, and was told by one of the brothers that this is not the way.
vikasj007
I suppose this one should not be very difficult for all you smart people out there, but anyways, let's see.

This is about two brothers who together, run a phone booth at an intersection of two highways, one going to city A and the other going to city B. It is known about the brothers that the elder one always speaks the truth while the younger one always lies about anything you might ask him.

A man going to City A came upto that intersection and now is not sure which of the two ways to take. He is aware of the strange habit of the brothers at the phone booth, and sees that one of them is at the booth. His problem is that he does know which of the brothers is at the shop at that moment.

In order to ask about his way, he can just ask one question to that man. Find out which is that one question that he should ask so that he is certian to go the correct way.

and remember, he can ask only one question.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I asked your brother if this is the road to city A, what would he answer?

If you ask him if he has a brother, then you can tell who it is. The person who always lies will have to say no. The person who doesn't will say yes.

You ask, while imitating Sam Jackson, "Which way to City A. If you're lying to me, I'm going to come back and kick you're ass. I don't give a damn about no logic puzzles! What kinda jackass brothers always lie while the other tells the truth! DON'T ANSWER THAT! It was rhetorical. Don't they teach you rhetoric in logic puzzle land, you lamea** m***** f*****!"

Njorl

(-1)*(1) = (1)*(-1) = -1

Again
If I asked your brother if this is the road to city A, what would he answer?

suppose it is true, the road is going to city A. If the other brother whom I would have asked, was the lying one, he would have said "no" and the brother speaking the thruth to me would tell me that honestly: "He would have said: No"

Now, if the other brother was the honest one, he would have answered "yes", so the lying brother would invert that and say "No" as well

So in both cases: No, this is indeed the road to city A
And likewise the other case: Yes, this is not the road to city A.

You'd ask the gentleman: "If i asked your brother about the way to city A, which road he'd give me?" and then go to the other road.

andre here has given the correct answer with the correct explanation.
GREAT WORK!
i hope next time i can come up with something bit more difficult so that it takes a bit more of your time and thought.
Bye

1. What is the importance of asking the right question in scientific research?

Asking the right question is crucial in scientific research as it helps to define the scope and direction of the study. A well-formulated question guides the entire research process and ensures that the results are relevant and meaningful.

2. How can one determine which question to ask in a scientific study?

The question to ask in a scientific study should be based on a clear understanding of the research topic and objectives. It should also be specific, measurable, and relevant to the research problem. Consulting with experts in the field and conducting a literature review can also help in determining the right question to ask.

3. Why is it important to consider the limitations and biases when formulating a research question?

Considering limitations and biases is crucial in formulating a research question as it helps to ensure that the study is valid and reliable. By acknowledging potential limitations and biases, researchers can take necessary measures to minimize their impact on the results and draw more accurate conclusions.

4. Can a research question change during the course of a study?

Yes, a research question can change during the course of a study. This can happen if the initial question is not adequately answered or if new information or insights are discovered during the research process. However, any changes in the research question should be justified and should not significantly alter the scope or objectives of the study.

5. How can one ensure that their research question is ethical?

To ensure that a research question is ethical, it should consider the well-being and rights of all participants. Researchers should also obtain informed consent and maintain confidentiality. Additionally, the study should be reviewed and approved by an ethics committee before it begins.