1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Machine elements - deflection and stress problem

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

upload_2016-2-3_20-44-39.png
    2. Relevant equations

δ = Pl/AE
    σ = P/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I had calculated the deformation for both the steel and aluminum, and added them together to give me δ = 0.481 mm, which is incorrect. I also thought I could simply plug in the force P = 200kN and the respective cross sectional areas for each material into the stress formula, which also gave me incorrect answers. Not sure where to go from here. upload_2016-2-3_20-44-39.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure why you would do that. The steel and the aluminum pieces are not in series. Each of the pieces must stretch the same amount, since there is a flange welded to one end and a tensile force is then applied to the assembly.

Instead of two stiff springs in series, why don't you think of this assembly as two stiff springs in parallel? What's the spring constant for two springs of different spring constants in parallel?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted