Mechanics of Materials: Deformation of a Hollow Cylinder

In summary: The new cross sectional area would be 0.081%. The new length would be 600.06 mm. The new volume would be 6,007.68 mm3. The decrease in volume is 0.081% of 6,007.68 mm3=55.16 mm3.
Taiki_Kazuma

Homework Statement

Hollow Circular tube of Length (L) 600 mm is compressed by forces P (axially).
Outside diameter (d2) is 75 mm.
Inside diameter (d1) is 63 mm.
Modulus of Elasticity (E) is 73 GPa
Poisson's ratio (v) is 0.33.
axial strain (ε) is 781 x 10-6

Find shortening of tube (δ). (This was calculated to be 0.469 mm)
Find % change in cross sectional area. (Answer is -0.081%)
Find volume change of the tube. (Answer is -207 mm3)

Homework Equations

δ = εL
δ = L' - L
A = 1/4 π d2
v = -ε'/ε (ε' is lateral strain)
σ = Eε = P/A (σ is stress)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using equation 1, the tube shortens 0.469 mm.

I figured I should calculate the lateral strain (ε') first.
Using equation 4, ε' = 258 x 10-6

Then, using equation 1 (and 2) laterally for d2, I get d'2 is 75.02 mm.

Similarly using equation 1 and 2 for d1, I get d'1 is 62.98 mm. (I assumed that the walls would expand which is why d1 to d'1 decreased).

Now, calculating the area difference I used the following equation 3:
A = 1/4 π (d12-d12) = 1300 mm2
A' = 1/4 π (d'12-d'12) = 1304.5 mm2

(A' - A) / A = 0.346% *Should be -0.081%*

I also tried to calculate Volume change, but received the incorrect answer. I believe my issue with Volume is the same reason for missing Area. Please let me know what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taiki_Kazuma said:

Homework Statement

Hollow Circular tube of Length (L) 600 mm is compressed by forces P (axially).
Outside diameter (d2) is 75 mm.
Inside diameter (d1) is 63 mm.
Modulus of Elasticity (E) is 73 GPa
Poisson's ratio (v) is 0.33.
axial strain (ε) is 781 x 10-6

Find shortening of tube (δ). (This was calculated to be 0.469 mm)
Find % change in cross sectional area. (Answer is -0.081%)
Find volume change of the tube. (Answer is -207 mm3)

The second answer should ring alarm bells right off the bat. Things bulge during axial compression, not contract, so we expect an increase in CSA.
I think your working is correct.
fig%201.jpg

What was the load P?

Chet

The two diameters should increase in the compressed state. They should each increase by 0.0258 % (as you showed). The cross sectional area should increase by twice this percent, or 0.0516%. So the length decreases by 0.0781%, and the area increases by 0.0516%. So the volume decreases by 0.0781-0.0516=0.0265%. This percent of the volume translates into volume decrease of 207 mm3.

With an increase of 0.0258% for each of the diameters, what is the new cross sectional area? With a decrease of 0.0718% in length, what is the new length? What is the new volume? What is the decrease in volume? How does this compare with the 207 mm3?

Chet

1. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning that the material will return to its original shape once the applied load is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and non-reversible, causing a change in the material's shape even after the load is removed.

2. How does the geometry of a hollow cylinder affect its deformation?

The geometry of a hollow cylinder, including its length, diameter, and wall thickness, can affect the amount and type of deformation it experiences. For example, a longer cylinder will experience more deformation compared to a shorter one under the same load, while a thicker wall can resist deformation better than a thinner wall.

3. What is the yield strength of a hollow cylinder?

The yield strength of a hollow cylinder refers to the maximum amount of stress that the material can withstand before it begins to deform plastically. It is an important property to consider in designing structures and determining their safety margins.

4. How does the material of the hollow cylinder affect its deformation?

The material of a hollow cylinder plays a significant role in its deformation behavior. Different materials have different mechanical properties, such as stiffness and strength, which can affect how they respond to applied loads. For example, a steel cylinder will experience less deformation than an aluminum one under the same load due to its higher stiffness.

5. What is the significance of the modulus of elasticity in the deformation of a hollow cylinder?

The modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness. It determines how much a material will deform under a given amount of stress. In the deformation of a hollow cylinder, the modulus of elasticity of the material plays a crucial role in determining the amount of elastic deformation and the overall behavior of the structure.