1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series for an Integral

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    For my homework in my class, I'm supposed to find the first 3 non-zero terms of the Maclaurin series of f(x) = Integral sin(t)/t dt evaluated from 0 to x. I'm fairly sure that sint/t dt has no integral, so I'm lost in my search for the solution. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    [tex] \sin x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1!}x^{2n+1} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sin x}{x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1!}x^{2n} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{x} \frac{\sin x}{x}\; dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1!(2n+1)}x^{2n+1} [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you think that? You're integrating a continuous, bounded function over a finite interval -- that's like the poster child for being integrable!

The integral most surely exists. The function

[tex]g(x) := \int_0^x \frac{\sin t}{t} \, dt[/tex]

is perfectly well-defined. It just might be that there isn't a "simpler" way to represent g(x). But it doesn't matter; this form is more than adequate for solving the problem at hand.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  5. Nov 15, 2006 #4
    I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant when I said that sint/t dt has no derivative is that the indefinite integral sint/t has no simple function to represent it. I looked up the integral, and wolfram just calls it sine integral.

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You do see that this form is adequate for the problem, though, right? If not... then where do you see an obstacle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?