Maclaurin Series for an Integral

• Thread starter Frillth
  • Start date
For my homework in my class, I'm supposed to find the first 3 non-zero terms of the Maclaurin series of f(x) = Integral sin(t)/t dt evaluated from 0 to x. I'm fairly sure that sint/t dt has no integral, so I'm lost in my search for the solution. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Answers and Replies

[tex] \sin x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1!}x^{2n+1} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sin x}{x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1!}x^{2n} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{x} \frac{\sin x}{x}\; dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1!(2n+1)}x^{2n+1} [/tex]

Last edited:
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm fairly sure that sint/t dt has no integral
Why do you think that? You're integrating a continuous, bounded function over a finite interval -- that's like the poster child for being integrable!

The integral most surely exists. The function

[tex]g(x) := \int_0^x \frac{\sin t}{t} \, dt[/tex]

is perfectly well-defined. It just might be that there isn't a "simpler" way to represent g(x). But it doesn't matter; this form is more than adequate for solving the problem at hand.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant when I said that sint/t dt has no derivative is that the indefinite integral sint/t has no simple function to represent it. I looked up the integral, and wolfram just calls it sine integral.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You do see that this form is adequate for the problem, though, right? If not... then where do you see an obstacle?