Mag 5.2 earthquake, Southern California, San Jacinto fault

In summary: Hildebrandt, an engineer and president of the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, said the aftershocks can be an indicator of how much stress is being relieved. "It's like the waves after a big rock concert," he said. "The energy has been released, and now the aftershocks are happening."In summary, an M5.2 earthquake rattles Southern California, felt in Los Angeles, San Diego. Geophysicist Ross Stein explains that the aftershocks can be an indicator of how much stress is being relieved.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
5.2-Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern California, Felt in Los Angeles, San Diego

https://gma.yahoo.com/5-2-magnitude-earthquake-rattles-southern-california-felt-112449426--abc-news-topstories.html

M5.2 - 20km NNW of Borrego Springs, CA
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci37374687#general

I was in San Diego, actually in Lakewood to the east of SD, many years ago, when I experienced waves from a Mag 6.3 in that same area as the Mag 5.2. The ground motion was pretty impressive. The couch on which I was sitting was bounced and shaken. I sounded like a jet engine roaring, like when a plane lands and uses thrust reverse.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Shouldn't anything below 6.5 be seen as good news for it reduces tensions and therewith the likelihood of the big one?

Ahhh! I felt this one. I shouldn't have been up that late, but never mind that. The largest earthquake I've felt in a long time!

fresh_42 said:
Shouldn't anything below 6.5 be seen as good news for it reduces tensions and therewith the likelihood of the big one?
It releases tension/compression at the location of the quake, but that means tension/compression builds elsewhere. It could be a precursor, or not.Geophysicist Explains the Aftershocks
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/southe...physicist-explains-aftershocks-202406590.html
Friday's 5.2 earthquake along the San Jacinto fault network, part of the San Andreas system, rippled across southern California communities in the early morning hours, causing no casualties, but raising questions about what the quake could portend.

Ross Stein is an earthquake geophysicist who spent 34 years with the U.S Geological Survey. He left in 2014 to start Temblor.net, a startup that aims to help people assess their own risk from earthquakes, and take steps to mitigate that risk. He is also a consulting professor at Stanford, with an upcoming course this fall. He helps scientists and P.h.D students learn how to better convey the results of their work to the public.
Is this unusual, the rate of the aftershocks?
The rate may be typical, but they're very widespread, and that's interesting. Magnitude 5s are typical in this area. There have been four others since 1980 of same size and in the same general location. That's not unusual. It makes sense. It's an active area. What's unusual is that the bookshelf faults that connect the strands create opportunities. And there's a lot of run-out to the northwest, with a significant portion that hasn't erupted in 150 years. If that were to happen it's not unexpected and it wouldn't be a surprise.

But the aftershocks were surprising here?
There were an awful lot of them -- at least 600 aftershocks spread over an area of about 10 miles wide. The rupture area for a magnitude 5 should be 2x2 miles. So that's odd. They were widely distributed and some or most of them are on these weird, secondary bookshelf faults.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:

that's a pretty common misconception ...
compared to the energy released in a M 7 to M8 event, it's just a small percentage and doesn't really change the overall stress in the region very much

fresh_42 said:
I just read the Solomons had a 6.3

yup around 4 hrs before the California event... recorded that one and several other M 6+ events in the SW Pacific / Indonesia region
over the last few days. Didn't record the Calif. event a bit small for my distance from it. Need to be around M6 and higher

upload_2016-6-11_18-35-59.png
the upper event is the M 6.2 from the Solomons
the lower event is a M 5.7 from the Fiji regionDave

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and fresh_42

1. What exactly is a Mag 5.2 earthquake?

A Mag 5.2 earthquake refers to an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.2 on the Richter scale. This scale is used to measure the strength or intensity of an earthquake, with higher numbers indicating a stronger earthquake.

2. Where is the San Jacinto fault located?

The San Jacinto fault is located in Southern California, specifically in the San Jacinto Mountains. It runs through Riverside, San Diego, and Imperial counties and is about 150 miles long.

3. How often do earthquakes occur on the San Jacinto fault?

The San Jacinto fault is a very active fault, with earthquakes occurring on it frequently. On average, there are about 250 earthquakes with a magnitude of 3.0 or higher on the San Jacinto fault each year.

4. What are the potential impacts of a Mag 5.2 earthquake on the San Jacinto fault?

A Mag 5.2 earthquake on the San Jacinto fault can cause moderate to severe damage, depending on the location and depth of the earthquake. It can also potentially trigger landslides and disrupt infrastructure, such as roads and buildings.

5. Is there a risk of a larger earthquake occurring on the San Jacinto fault?

Yes, there is a risk of a larger earthquake occurring on the San Jacinto fault. The fault is capable of producing earthquakes with magnitudes of up to 7.5, which could have devastating effects on the surrounding communities. It is important for residents in the area to be prepared and have an emergency plan in place.