Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maggiore's QFT textbook error?

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

In page 15 of the first edition of this textbook, in equations 2.6 and 2.7, he writes:

(2.6)[tex]e^{i\alpha_a T^a_R} e^{i\beta_a T^a_R}=e^{i\delta_a T^a_R}[/tex]
    where [tex]T^a_R[/tex] is the generator of the group represented by R.
    Now in equation (2.7) he take the logarithm:
    (2.7)[tex] i\delta_a T^a_R=log{[1+i\alpha_aT^a_R+0.5(i\alpha_aT^a_R)^2][1+i\beta_a T^a_R+0.5(i\beta_a T^a_R)^2]}=log[1+i(\alpha_a+\beta_a)T^a_R-0.5(\alpha_a T^a_R)^2-0.5(\beta_a T^a_R)^2-\alpha_a \beta_b T^a_R T^b_R][/tex]

and I don't understand from where did he get the term with the b's, I guess it should a's instead of b's, but then again he writes that he uses the taylor expansion of log(1+x) upto second order to get to equation (2.8)[tex]\alpha_a \beta_b [T^a_R,T^b_R]=i\gamma_c(\alpha,\beta)T^c_R[/tex], I don't understnad why did he change indexes in equation 2.7, can anyone enlighten me with this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Your latex's not quite right...

Magiorre's eq(2.7) is

[tex]
    i\delta_a T^a_R ~=~ \log\big\{[1+i\alpha_aT^a_R+0.5(i\alpha_aT^a_R)^2][1+i\beta_a T^a_R+0.5(i\beta_a T^a_R)^2]\big\}
    ~=~ \log[1+i(\alpha_a+\beta_a)T^a_R-0.5(\alpha_a T^a_R)^2-0.5(\beta_a T^a_R)^2-\alpha_a \beta_b T^a_R T^b_R]
    [/tex]

which involves abuses of the summation convention. (Actually, even (2.6) should use another
    dummy index like b in the second exponential.)

Basically, he uses the b dummy index so that you can correctly keep track of what's
    being summed with what...

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

OK, thanks.
    That clears this matter.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook