1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maginutude and Phase Angle for Nyquist Plots

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Magnitude and Phase Angle for Nyquist Plots

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The assignment is to draw a Nyquist Plot of a certain transfer function. The problem is that I can't figure out how they got the angle for the plot.

[itex]

G(s) = \frac{k(s+2)}{(s+1)(s-3)}

[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]

|G(j\omega)| \angle G(j\omega)

[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]

G(j\omega) = \frac{k(j\omega+2)}{(j\omega+1)(j\omega-3)}

[/itex]

From that I know that the magnitude is found like this:
    [itex]

|G(j\omega)| = \frac{k\sqrt{(\omega^2+4)}}{\sqrt{(\omega^2+1)}\sqrt{(\omega^2+9)}}

[/itex]

Now, the solution says that the phase angle is:

[itex]

\angle G(j\omega) = \angle \tan ^{-1} (\frac{\omega}{2})-\tan ^{-1} (\frac{\omega}{1})-(180 - \tan ^{-1} (\frac{\omega}{3}))

[/itex]

What I don't understand is why there is a [itex]180^o[/itex] shift in the last term.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2

AqA

If you consider (jw-3) alone, its y coordinate is 'w' and its x coordinate is '-3'.
    Thus (jw-3) as a directed vector from the origin makes an angle of 180-tan-1(w/3) with the positive x axis.
    The angle with the positive x axis is to be considered, not just tan-1(y/x).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook