Magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the magnetic dipole moment of a Nickel cylinder in an external magnetic field. One person uses the formula for spheres and models the cylinder as a dimer of two spheres, while the other person is looking for a specific formula for cylinders. There is also a discussion on the units of the formula and how the ferromagnetic material affects the calculation. Ultimately, it is suggested to multiply the formula by the volume of a cylinder, but it is not confirmed whether this will work.
amicus_tobias
I have a Nickel cylinder, 5 micron in diameter and 10 micron in length. I know the external field [tex] \vec{B} [/tex]is 80 gauss, what is the formula for the magnetic dipole moment of this cylinder in the field?

Now I only have the formula for magnetic dipole of spheres, which is [tex]\mu = \frac{4}{3}\pi a^3 \chi B[/tex], so I sort of make estimates by modeling the cylinder as a dimer of two spheres. But I would like to get a formula particular to cylinders.

Please help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help here? thanks!

when you say magnetic dipole moment
do you mean [itex] M= \int I da [/itex]

cragar said:
when you say magnetic dipole moment
do you mean [itex] M= \int I da [/itex]

I think that is just another way to calculate the induced magnetic dipole moment if you know the current flowing. But now I have a magnetic field, I know exactly what it is, and I want to know what is the magnetic moment in a cylinder which happens to be ferromagnetic.

The formula i gave and the one you gave have different units.
there off by a [tex] \mu_0 [/tex]
So because you have a ferromagnetic material when we place this in an external B field it will cause the magnetic domains to line up and cause the cylinder to have its on B field.
could you just multiply it by the volume of a cylinder or will that not work.
I flipped through Griffiths electrodynamics and couldn't really find anything on it.

1. What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic dipole. It is defined as the product of the pole strength and the distance between the two poles.

2. How is the magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the cross-sectional area of the cylinder and the length of the cylinder.

3. What factors affect the magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder?

The magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder can be affected by the material composition, shape, and size of the cylinder, as well as the strength of the applied magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder?

The magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials. It can also be used in applications such as magnetic data storage and magnetic resonance imaging.

5. How does the magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder differ from other types of magnets?

The magnetic dipole moment of a ferromagnetic cylinder differs from other types of magnets, such as permanent magnets or electromagnets, in that it is a measure of the overall magnetic strength of the cylinder, rather than a specific point or region.